• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

new mighty mite posts

RodUSMC1962

I would like to see more mighty mite posts to get m422 owners engaged
in asking questions offering info like other owners do.I realize there are
not as many of us but I think some of us have the interest' thanks rodusmc1962.

papercu

Welcome, Asking your own questions should start the ball rolling better than asking others to post. There is no limit to the number of questions you can ask. Wayne

natem

Can I start? Will you tell us about your avatar photo? It looks like a early M422 with the light frame windshield.

Nate

PS:I am a recovering M422A1 owner (I miss my Mite)

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a mite, but don't have much to contribute. It's a project, and on the back burner at the moment.

RodUSMC1962

This is a 1961 m422 mite not an a1. You can tell by the seats on the tailgate.The The photo was taken 1963 when I was in the 4th Marines.This has the original aluminum winshield.I dont have the ability to send additional photos at this time.thanks to all who replied to my post.Im new to being active on the site but am looking forward to talking to other mite owners not just with sharing info but to hear your stories and photos. Thanks rodusmc1962.

FrankUSMC

I have owned a couple hundred jeeps, but never a Mighty Mite. Have owned parts. Have looked at a couple but they had rust issues in the front, and was told to stay away from them that had rust in that area.
I do have the manual for the proto type mighty mite. When one was brought to Camp Lejeune to be tested to see if the Marines would want it. My friends unit got to test it. He ended up with the manual. He told me the Mite was issued to a Marine sergeant, who was told to drive it and test it, that would be his job till they wanted it back.
The only date I can find on the manual is 1952! and the proto type used 5.90x15 tires. There is one photo in the manual that shows a Marine checking the fluids and he is wearing an Ike jacket.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

armytruck63

Let me just chime in. My dad has had an M422 since 1974. It was overhauled by the USMC at Barstow in 1968 and given the M38A1 windshield kit. It was the first MV in our family and my dad still has it. The first civilian owner, a USMC captain on Okinawa in WWII, just passed away a few months ago at 92.

The Mighty Mite is not for sale.

RodUSMC1962

mighty mite

armytruck63:Congratulations to you and your dad for having your mite and thanks to all of you that have replied to my post. When the weather is good my wife and I take our mite to American legions and VFW s to have lunch and we get lots of question and positive comments from the vets.Most have never seen a mite.Keep the posts coming about what you are doing with your mites and post pics!Unfortunatly I dont have the means to post pics at this time..

natem

The gentleman I sold my Mite to has offered to sell it back. He needs to down size, my wife just smiled and said it always was her favorite.:D

Nate

saddamsnightmare

January 17th, 2012.

I had SN 2043 (M422A1) from 1977 until about 1987, it's in the Philadelphia area somewhere with it's second civillian owner. The only two complaints I had then were that parts were hard to find and you always need a supply of front hub center bolts, and no heater. It was designed for the jungle and you had to put chains on the front wheels to steer in snow...if the snow was more then 12-15" deep, you were screwed, as the front differential guard would ride up on the snow and take the front wheels off the ground with it... AND you then couldn't back up as the differential guard would catch in the snow and act as a brake....
Other then being noisy, it was good for 40+ MPG when it did choose to run... I miss it quite often now, but it got a very good home!
Besides, with 4 wheel independent suspension, it would go up side slopes that a Unimog couldn't climb (100% diagonals), and if you did get stuck three guys could just about lift you out of the mess.... HOO:D RAH!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks