• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Owner - Where to start?

JO302

Hey everyone,

I'm a new user to the group and have been devouring all the content on the forums - been many late nights :). Starting to make my way through the TMs.

I purchased a 1995 M1025A2 (rebuild 2008 ) from Eastern Supply and look forward to getting it in the next 6 weeks. Some pics attached. I know it will certainly be a project getting it the way I want (and I'm sure way more than I know at this stage). I've read through so many posts which answered a lot of questions but wanted to get some advice and opinions from others that have gone through this before me and not make too many rookie mistakes.

Ignition - Didn't want anyone driving off with the new ride, so going to make this my very first mod. Got the Digital Guard Dawg RFID setup - seems to be positive feedback from the posts I've seen.

Grounding Cables - Going to buy or make a new one to be proactive on some electrical gremlins people seem to experience. Thanks for the nice writeups on that.

License plate holder with light - Still trying to figure out which one, but found several options.

Paint - My thought is this should be one of the first things I do while a lot of the parts are stripped off the humvee. I've read through many posts in the paint forum and I'm leaning towards doing a spray Raptor liner on the interior and Behr Marquee on the exterior. Would love to do the CARC but honestly a bit worried about this hazards that go with it and an expensive experiment for my first paint job. Figured the Behr route would be a safe choice to start and can always repaint later. Looking to do a flat dark gray with black interior.

Seats - It seems that most people go with the military seats, Corbeaus, or the Smitty seats. Leaning towards the Corbeau Moab seat in black. Debating between the vinyl and neoprene. Anyone done the neoprene? Just worried about the vinyl getting hot as sh*t with the sun beating on it. Doing the 4 man soft top setup and plan to keep the top off most of the GA summer/early fall so need seats that will hold up well against the elements. Will of course need to get some seat belts.

A sub topic to the seat is finding more leg room at 6'5". Tempted to notch out the B-beam behind the seat.

Windshield - Debating between the clear versus tinted windshield. Anyone have a bad experience with the tinted windshield?

Soft Top - Got this in the queue with Bill Welch to make one. Seems to do real quality work and should get it in July.

LED lights swap - Seems that puts less stress on the electrical system and plus they look better.

Doors - I really want to do the Cobra Tek combo doors but they are pricey, so may have to do them later after everything above. Thoughts on these?

That's my target list for the first 3 months or so. What else I'm I missing that I will need to consider (or reconsider)?

Thanks for bearing with me through all these questions - I figured it was better to get it all out on one post versus 20 posts. Look forward to your feedback and look forward to being a part of the community!

JeffO

PXL_20210413_150811602 (Large).jpgPXL_20210413_150742851 (Large).jpgPXL_20210413_150957420 (Large).jpgPXL_20210413_150928196 (Large).jpg

Daves86

Welcome to the madness! Looks like you got a good list started but I would add some maintenance. Change all the fluids, flush the cooling system (may have to be done several times). The TMs are your friends (though they may not seem it at first).
Enjoy!

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you have them delete the hard top? If not you will need the GMV C pillar from HMMWVSUPPLY.com. Yours is a dead ringer for mine. Unfortunately the Bajas will need to be replaced, they show cracks in the tread.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hey everyone,

I'm a new user to the group and have been devouring all the content on the forums - been many late nights :). Starting to make my way through the TMs.

I purchased a 1995 M1025A2 (rebuild 2008 ) from Eastern Supply and look forward to getting it in the next 6 weeks. Some pics attached. I know it will certainly be a project getting it the way I want (and I'm sure way more than I know at this stage). I've read through so many posts which answered a lot of questions but wanted to get some advice and opinions from others that have gone through this before me and not make too many rookie mistakes.

Ignition - Didn't want anyone driving off with the new ride, so going to make this my very first mod. Got the Digital Guard Dawg RFID setup - seems to be positive feedback from the posts I've seen.

Grounding Cables - Going to buy or make a new one to be proactive on some electrical gremlins people seem to experience. Thanks for the nice writeups on that.

License plate holder with light - Still trying to figure out which one, but found several options.

Paint - My thought is this should be one of the first things I do while a lot of the parts are stripped off the humvee. I've read through many posts in the paint forum and I'm leaning towards doing a spray Raptor liner on the interior and Behr Marquee on the exterior. Would love to do the CARC but honestly a bit worried about this hazards that go with it and an expensive experiment for my first paint job. Figured the Behr route would be a safe choice to start and can always repaint later. Looking to do a flat dark gray with black interior.

Seats - It seems that most people go with the military seats, Corbeaus, or the Smitty seats. Leaning towards the Corbeau Moab seat in black. Debating between the vinyl and neoprene. Anyone done the neoprene? Just worried about the vinyl getting hot as sh*t with the sun beating on it. Doing the 4 man soft top setup and plan to keep the top off most of the GA summer/early fall so need seats that will hold up well against the elements. Will of course need to get some seat belts.

A sub topic to the seat is finding more leg room at 6'5". Tempted to notch out the B-beam behind the seat.

Windshield - Debating between the clear versus tinted windshield. Anyone have a bad experience with the tinted windshield?

Soft Top - Got this in the queue with Bill Welch to make one. Seems to do real quality work and should get it in July.

LED lights swap - Seems that puts less stress on the electrical system and plus they look better.

Doors - I really want to do the Cobra Tek combo doors but they are pricey, so may have to do them later after everything above. Thoughts on these?

That's my target list for the first 3 months or so. What else I'm I missing that I will need to consider (or reconsider)?

Thanks for bearing with me through all these questions - I figured it was better to get it all out on one post versus 20 posts. Look forward to your feedback and look forward to being a part of the community!

JeffO

View attachment 831366View attachment 831367View attachment 831368View attachment 831369
Welcome from North Carolina!

You are in for a lot of fun. There will be a little fussing here and there when you just "knew everything was fixed" and you find out it isn't. That is part of the magic of this hobby though - and it it doesn't make you pull your hair out - you will be better for it.

I don't know squat about hummers, but all the same it is a MV and it needed a new owner.
That is where you come in :cool:

I have already seen mention about downloading and reading TM's. They can be dry and boring, but every now and again a tasty morsel will fall out and make you smarter. Those books will give you the specifications on oil, grease, antifreeze and any other liquid you need to use in your new toy.

Remember: Grease is your friend. Grease is a LOT cheaper than parts so don't hesitate to use it often. Especially if you play in the water or mud...

JO302

Did you have them delete the hard top? If not you will need the GMV C pillar from HMMWVSUPPLY.com. Yours is a dead ringer for mine. Unfortunately the Bajas will need to be replaced, they show cracks in the tread.
Thanks NDT for the heads up on the tires. They are supposed to put good tires with 60%+ tread on them so I’ll bring it up.

Yes, hard top coming off and getting a B and C pillar added. I’ll need to find some rails and bows for the soft top.

JO302

Welcome to the madness! Looks like you got a good list started but I would add some maintenance. Change all the fluids, flush the cooling system (may have to be done several times). The TMs are your friends (though they may not seem it at first).
Enjoy!
Yes, I should have mentioned that. Eastern is supposed to be checking all that but I’ll be double checking when I get it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tbeson

Welcome to the forum, I too am new to this group and they are wonderful. I was able to get my electrical system figured out in a week and got her to turn over and run., I however am finding water in the oil and loose lines, other fun stuff. Looking like it going to be a fun road once we get all of the stuff figured out.

DHumvee

I'm having trouble with that website, is that still a good address?
Thanks!

microjeep

In Memorial
In Memorial
Welcome to the forum from N Georgia, just wanted to make sure you're aware of the upcoming Ga. Rally, great place to meet people, see other vehicles, discuss issues and pick up parts.

Hope to see you there, Micro

fasttruck

Don't make a move without the pubs: operator's manual, organizational maintenance manual and parts book, and a lubrication order. military Hummvees have more grease points than civilian ones, neglect them at your own peril. These pubs can be downloaded from this site.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks