• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Paint

SabreScout

Good morning fellas,

So in the past three weeks of owning my first CUCV,i've gone over the engine with a fine tooth comb,replaced all filters and worn hoses,everythings lubed and it's even got a GASP!! cd player and good speakers.I'm debating on wether to replace the starter or not (i had a BAD experience with an 82 blazer,i went through three "rebuilt" starters in two months) but other than that everything works execellent.So now it's on to painting it.....it's white on white on white,which i do not like so i want to go OD or maybe a milspec camo pattern.The problem is this....i don't have a garage or shop in which to correctly airspray. So all the painting would be done in my yard,so with this in mind is airspraying still an option?I have no problem springing for a sprayer and tools and the like but if the paint job is going to look sub-par then should i just go with rattle cans?....any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Armada

I had the starter short out on my 1008 years ago and caught the side of the engine on fire. I had no tools at the time to disconnect the batteries. Fire dept came and we got it out. Didn't damage too much, new starter, replaced all the wiring on right side of engine...... could have been worse.
As part of your preventative maintenance regime, I would also suggest replacing the mechanical fuel pump if its still the original. The bronze bushings on the rocker arm shaft are prone to wearing out which causes a gradual loss of pump efficiency until it finally quits altogether. They are a PITA to replace while in the garage, let alone on the side of the road somewhere (voice of experience..... twice).
As far as painting outside, it is not a problem. Pick a day with no wind and don't do it under a scorching sun or in an area with a lot of dust (next to dirt road, etc.). You may get the imprint of an insect or two, but it won't be noticable.
Oh, and post some pictures! Good luck.

ojsdna744

I'm in the process of rattle-canning an M35 as we speak. Seems to be coming out quite well as far as the paint coating goes. I've been spraying most of it inside, but some has been outside. As long as the wind isn't blowing (over 5mph or so) it'll go down just fine. Like Paul said, post up pics when you 'get-r-dun!' :)

red devils dude

I'm going to spray my deuce outside but I am going to try and make a wind brake(two post and a piece of green house
plastic in between) unless the wind is really blowing it shouldnt be a problem.

Jones

HVLP rigs are good for outdoor conditions 'cause more paint seems to get to the vehicle. Like Jed says; consider investing in a BIG sheet of plastic for a drop-cloth/wind-break just to keep the wife happy and neighbors quiet.

N1265

I painted my M880 twice outside with a 1 qt. syphon feed gun, Looks great. But painting on a day with no wind ( or rain ) is a must.

also do not paint under a tree or power lines..... birds are pranksters! and will want to help you out with your pattern :lol:

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't have a CUCV yet. But my deuce is the ONLY truck I've ever owned that looked way better with a couple of rattle cans of black and dark green paint put on.

And the paint job on mine (done by Army) is pretty 'messy' so I wouldn't worry too much about overall look. Cause until you get up close, they all just look like MV's to everyone. Even you.

Of course, you will know where the 'spots' are. As long as you can live with it, 'IT'S GOOD ENOUGH FOR GOVERNMENT WORK'!!!

jim

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Painting MVs is alot like painting a house. Give it a good scraping and slather on the paint.

SabreScout

Thanks for all the tips guys.....i know that it doesn't need to look pristine perfect,i just want to make it right...you know?I've been looking for a truck like this for a long time and i guess since it's not only a daily driver but also my dream truck (i realize that only you guys will understand this,my wife still says "huh?" when i mention it to her) i really want to get it correct.

SuperchargedRS

How did the Gov't paint the trucks? I mean they didnt do it in a booth with a hvlp gun did they? So could one even tell the diff between a flat camo painted with 100k worth of equipment vs. a spray can?

Also I read that the 383 CARC paint in like cancer city to work with due to all the chem in it which makes it CARC (hence the reason the Gov't went to something like CARC2)...not to mention I cant find it in anything short of one gal quanties (and people try to charge like 60 bucks for a gal).

More likley what ever CUCV I end up getting I will probably re-paint it as well, I know it will never look like my Camaro or anything but as the orginal poster I want to look...OEM new.

-SuperchargedRS

N1265

I am not sure .... But if I rember right, I did see a picture of the Army painting a tank in a spray booth ( at the depo level getting it ready for the sand box).

They were painting it in desert colors and in CARC. the guy painting it was dressed up in a full chemical suit with A fresh air supply system.

I am prety sure the stuff before CARC was just brushed on or sprayed on in the out doors, or maybe a steel bld.

BKinzey

I'm planning on full "DORKing" mine. Since I'm not restoring to Mil Spec why not? I plan to get lots of 4"x4" or 6"x6" squares. As in cheap stick on shelf liner. Give the whole truck a base green. Apply stickers, add a color, apply stickers, add a color, etc until I have a "digital" camo job. Why stop with 3 colors? Maybe mix in some Urban and/or desert color sections as well. At least it will be different and maybe I can convince myself it's not gay.

I'll have to test though. Could be difficult to remove the shelf paper after several coats.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
At Fort Hood, we had a Divsion level paint shop. The guys used spray guns, and wore respiratiors. Wasnt very fancy. All the did was Tan 686A, no camo.