• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Project & Questions

jm101

The first of many questions I have is, where can I source a carburetor?
The bottom portion has a broken flange that was braised back on and left un-finished -see photos. I would like to replace the whole assembly with a rebuilt unit if possible. I have seen used, non-rebuilt units up for sale. If that is the way to go and then rebuild it... so be it. Looking for a little guidance.
Thanks in advance

jm101

A little backstory to those who are curious.
My grandparents passed away a couple years ago, this jeep was stored in there garage ever since there son was killed in Vietnam -B52 navigator, surface to air missile. My uncle Ben, the B52 navigator, had a master's in automotive engineering and the jeep was slated to get a v-8 swap upon his return from war. He left behind a small collection of classic cars, I ended up with this one. He did the set of Stuart Warner gauges, heater, radio, 12v conversion, etc.
Personally, I am a handyman who works on organic farms mostly. I have a background formal education and a few years experience as an automotive tech. I have accumulated skills and knowledge around welding, and various other "hard-skills". I am also born in the era of EFI. I am new to working with older carburetor vehicles, so I am sure to be asking lots of questions.
At this point, I am seeking to get the jeep running and moving under it's own power. Well enough to allow my aging mother to drive it and bring her smiles. She has very fond memories of driving this jeep to school and tooling around out in the woods with her brother.
I will elaborate more on this story as the build progresses and if there is any interest.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The bottom portion has a broken flange that was braised back on and left un-finished -see photos. I would like to replace the whole assembly with a rebuilt unit if possible. I have seen used, non-rebuilt units up for sale. If that is the way to go and then rebuild it... so be it. Looking for a little guidance.
Thanks in advance
Welcome. You have a Carter YF carburetor which was used on the CJ-5. The correct carb is a Carter YS. Either will work, you just need to decide what level of correctness you wish to achieve. These carbs are available from all the usual sources such as Army Jeep Parts.
Good luck with the Jeep, it looks really solid.

jm101

Welcome. You have a Carter YF carburetor which was used on the CJ-5. The correct carb is a Carter YS. Either will work, you just need to decide what level of correctness you wish to achieve. These carbs are available from all the usual sources such as Army Jeep Parts.
Good luck with the Jeep, it looks really solid.
NDT, you seem to have gotten it on the nose with regards to carb type and sources. First factoid filed, thanks.

DeetFreek

Thanks in advance
I know NDT already answered this part, and I'm going to second his reply. I just went through this on my A1. A lot of things had been altered, swapped, taken off completely on it. I'm not going back to 100% original by any means, but I want it to at least look closer than it did. Mine had a YF as well, and my throttle shaft had finally given out, so I sourced it out to WillysJeepParts for a rebuilt unit. Not the cheapest route, but I didn't want to have another hassle later down the road by only replacing the lower throttle base.

Sometimes, these things will test your patience, knowledge, and skills. But they're so worth it in the end. Welcome aboard, have fun and ask all the questions. Most of my recent escapades are on the "what have you done to your Jeep today?" thread if you're inclined to check that out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks