• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

new shocks; what next?

edpdx

Got the Bilsteins for the M1009. The ride is nicer. The shocks I pulled were lifeless and did not even expand after compressing by hand :???:.

The ride seems a little jouncy from side-to-side. I was thinking about what the next move, if any, should be.

I don't really think I want to lift it. I was thinking about improving the suspension though. Are coils going to help? Leaf springs? Add-a-leaf? What is the logical upgrade after shocks?

thnx,

Ed

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you replaced the tires? I thought I was having all sorts of suspensions problems. But I needed a new set of rubber and once that was installed, all the other problems seem to disappear.

Just a thought.

edpdx

Rob, I'll start looking at the bushings. Is the OEM rubber the way to go, or are there better poly bushings that give better performance?

Wallew, I have not replaced the tires. They were all the Silent Armour ones when I got it. The tread left is substantial, so I'll wait on replacing them cause they are too expensive to blow off yet.

edgebar

shocks...next

just put the bilsteins on, added a steering stableizer, add a leaf up front, new spring bushings ( poly) and got a huge diff..
however, too stiff up front and i still have a distinct right hand sag, so, i'm planning a 2" front EZRIDE and 3" rear EZRIDE.
tires are mil issue, looking at bfg m/t km2
i'll keep ya posted

edpdx

OK, steering stabilizer. Any one better than another? Never had one on my trucks before. Is this a DIY'er.

cucv1833

just put the bilsteins on, added a steering stableizer, add a leaf up front, new spring bushings ( poly) and got a huge diff..
however, too stiff up front and i still have a distinct right hand sag, so, i'm planning a 2" front EZRIDE and 3" rear EZRIDE.
tires are mil issue, looking at bfg m/t km2
i'll keep ya posted

any pics of steering stabilizer? i just added shock mounts and shocks to the 10bolt rear on my m1008 didnt notice anything differnt. the sway bar bushings are very bad. A guy that owns a offroad shop told me to remove it that its useless. is that true. i want to level out the front end should i put a add a leaf and new shocks? the front sits 2'' lower than the back. truck in avatar pic

edpdx

Is the steering stabilizer just a single shock with a bracket and a pin? I see these advertised under $50. Is this what I need?

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Since you're in Oregon with the flooding. You may want to add a snorkel. Bad joke.

Go poly on the bushings. Frankly just about all the front steering and suspension parts need changed out. Mine get changed this spring.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
any pics of steering stabilizer? i just added shock mounts and shocks to the 10bolt rear on my m1008 didnt notice anything differnt. the sway bar bushings are very bad. A guy that owns a offroad shop told me to remove it that its useless. is that true. i want to level out the front end should i put a add a leaf and new shocks? the front sits 2'' lower than the back. truck in avatar pic

I've owned several Suburbans in this body style. I went to great lengths to ADD a rear sway bar. That's HOW MUCH DIFFERENCE once can make. DO NOT remove the rear sway bar. Replace the rubber holding them in place. I can't suggest either, as I've used both with no negative effects. And replacing the rubber does make a huge difference.

But do NOT remove the rear sway bar. They are very useful. It gives your truck less body roll if nothing else.

And while I do understand that tires are NOT CHEAP, you could be riding around on a set that LOOKS GREAT, but whose under lying rubber and cords have separated. THAT'S LIFE AND DEATH DANGEROUS. Check the date on when your tires were made. I had a set on one truck that literally LOOKED new, but were ten years old. Trust me, I don't care how much it costs, having a tire separate at ANY SPEED is challenging. Having one separate at highway speeds CAN BE DEADLY. Do not trust your life to the ONLY PART OF YOUR TRUCK THAT IS IN CONTACT WITH THE ROAD, especially if they are more than six years old. Maybe you get lucky, then again, maybe not.

You can add a leaf to the front springs, as the Chevy's are notorious for the front end springs wearing or flattening out. And as has been said, especially with the M1008's, both the driver and the fuel are both on the left side, which can cause the truck to appear lopsided because of how the springs wear unevenly.

There are all sorts of things you can do. But do them one at a time, then drive the truck for a week or so and see and feel what has changed. Make notes (trust me, you CAN'T remember everything) and keep track. Review the work and the results as you go.

Writing it all down will allow you a chance to review what you did right after the job is done. Then go back and review it and see if your original observations were correct.

cucv1833

WALLEW,

Thanks, i said sway bar in my post but really meant FRONT STABILIZER BAR fig156 in Tm 34p.
i know its there for a reason but a few people told me i could remove it that it wasnt doing much.
i will check the date on the tires but they look real good . if there old thats gives me a good excuse
to get some 33's . the truck rides ok on the hwy. the front end bounches alot in offroad terrain probaly just needs new
front shocks to start with.

I want to put the Bilsteins shocks on my m1009, but Bilstein dosen't make a steering stabilizer for the blazers, well not that i have found. Do any of you know if they do have one and if so what is the part number for it, or is there a better alternative to replace the shocks and stabilizer with the same brand. (Pro Comp)??? Thanks in advance.

cucv1833

I want to put the Bilsteins shocks on my m1009, but Bilstein dosen't make a steering stabilizer for the blazers, well not that i have found. Do any of you know if they do have one and if so what is the part number for it, or is there a better alternative to replace the shocks and stabilizer with the same brand. (Pro Comp)??? Thanks in advance.

Have you checked out SUPERLIFT? Im now running superlift shocks with the Dual shock mount up front with stock stabilizer. It with a 2.5" lift but the should have something for stock height.

Heres mine
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/68781-my-2nd-cucv.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/attachments/cucv/321720d1333923119-my-2nd-cucv-dsc_0224.jpg here a pic with 2-differnt shock sizes on the front

M1008driver

I would go to a spring shop and get an estimate for new springs. Also make sure I had a sway bar if you don't have one. I don't know about M1009's whether they do or don't. My shocks would be Bilstein. Last a good quality front stabilizer (shocks still would be Bilstein).

That's just me, but I would mod with things that will last a long time.

donalloy1

How about adding Airbags? Has anyone tried it? Put them on my Ranger and the results were excellent. Took almost all the body roll out. Feels like I added huge sway bars. The cool part is that they are adjustable manualy or by onboard compressor depending on how you set up. Your thoughts.