• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Starter Confusion

ilovemyblazer

Ok, first of I HAVE searched this forum and read up on this but I'm still confused.

My starter on my M1008 went out while a diesel mech. was installing the new I.P. (he insists that he did not miss-treat the starter) I took it to a local shop to rebuild it because I know thats the best thing to do. It is not repairable (see pic).

So I went ahead and ordered one off of eBay from DB Electrical. It is a gear reduction starter. Question is: Is it a direct bolt in?? Do I need some bracket or something?

Attachments

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your old starter was a direct drive. Your new starter is a gear reduction.

You will need a new starter support bracket. Available at your dealer. Other than that it is a direct bolt in. Be aware that some starters require shimming. You new starter should have instructions. If not they are in the TM.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/15551-starter-bracket-bolt-size.html

The part number is listed in post #14 along with some pictures.

Also order and install some new starter bolts. They are really a one time use item.
GM 15544950 - Starter Bolt
GM 14060613 - Starter Bracket Bolt - M8 x 1.25 x 20 (hardware store)
GM 14028931 - Starter Bracket - old style Direct Drive starter
GM 23502557 - Starter Bracket - new style Gear Reduction starter

Don't throw your old starter away as some people need some small parts from the unit.

Last edited:

Keith_J

I've seen starter damage like that. Commutator pads come loose, they are embedded in epoxy/phenolic which is brittle. All it takes is a single pad getting loose, then it either rips the brushes or it flies off.

Pulled a starter off a Ford that looked like that. Buttoned it back up and got a new one. They took the core :razz:

M1008driver

You better take a look at your flexplate too. You already know what happened. He was trying to get it going and your starter wore out. If you take the time to get the parts mentioned above and make sure your flexplate is OK or change it if worn, you should not have any trouble for a long time.

wayne pick

Did you do the doghead mod? Don't see it in any of your posts. The starter may have run away after the mechanics 50th try at starting it and failed to tell you that part of his story. After you just about empty your wallet on the new starter, do the doghead mod BEFORE you install your new starter. I doubt this happend out of pure coincidence, and don't let anyone touch your truck if they don't know what they are doing. You could have spent that money on other upgrades to the truck. Good luck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks