• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Steering Box or Not?

86M10086.2L

So in my quest to find out why my steering is binding, I've replaced both tie rods ends as they were quite worn. But as I was checking the ends that go from the pitman arm to the left steering arm I noticed some play in the steering box shaft. Is there supposed to be any play in the shaft? This problem has now gotten to the point where the you can turn the steering wheel, the wheels start to turn, everything locks up and wont go anymore, then all of a sudden pops loose and continues on its way. Keep in mind this is an intermitant problem and doesn't happen all the time. Will adjusting the set screw on top of the steering box help, or is box just done for? Am I missing something else? The ball joints seem ok I can't find any cracks in the frame, I have a steering box brace, and the steering box bolts are tight.

86M10086.2L

You can wiggle the shaft slightly when the truck's just sitting on the ground. But when I can get it to pop just turning the wheel back and forth, I looks like the shaft drops down or pops out slightly then comes back up or in.

Crash_AF

You can probably adjust the play out of the box, but unless you have done it before, see if you can find someone who has to do it for you. The set screw on top of the box is there to adjust the slop out of the gears, but unless you follow the EXACT procedure in the TM/ GM Service Manual, you will cause more damage to your box than you are preventing.

Later,
Joe

Lawrence of Arabia

I might be pointing you in the wrong direction, but make sure you did not shear the power steering pump shaft. If this occurs you will loose power steering and braking. It could possably have broken in a way that sometimes it works and sometimes not. Probably not possable, but I have learned with working on trucks and equipment anything is possable

86M10086.2L

I wouldn't think it is the power steering pump. When the condition occurs, and I have to stop, I don't ever remember there being a problem or difference with breaking power or performance. I'll check anyway, I'll check the TM and see what I can do with the adjustment of the box.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks