• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New steering wheel & horn button

Lex_Ordo

So I have decided that the truck needs an updated NOS steering wheel.
I bought one from Saturn, and it appears to be correct. The diameter of the wheel and spokes are the same.

I pulled the horn button, and now need to pull the wheel. With this cold spell, it may be a few more days. Anyway...

Has anyone else replaced their wheel? Or Horn button?

My reasons are the cracks all over it. Also I bought a NOS Horn button kit and it seems to be a more recent upgrade or modificaton work order.
It is a different design than the std duece horn buttons that I have seen on the trucks.

Are there any former military mechanics that know what I am speaking of?

jatonka

How about a current civilian deuce nut? Remove the horn button, try to find someone who will let you use their steering wheel puller, stuff the horn wire down the column a little way to protect it, pop the wheel off. The new horn button kit is an excellent upgrade, you will mount the new wheel, retrieve the horn wire, add the packard connector to it, install the black adaptor ring, plug in the new horn button and set in place with the provided snap ring. The key is getting ahold of a military steering wheel puller. JT out

Lex_Ordo

Thanks John.
It seems easy enough. The connection is just a snip, strip, and crimp, yes? I have plenty of those waterproof female connectors, and one even came in the kit.

Question though. DO I need a Military Wheel Puller? I know there are a lot of different designs of wheel pullers, and I figured, one ought to work. I'm not concerend with damaging the existing wheel, because it is already cracked.

Also, the horn wire...
It just goes down through the wheel nut? I have to remove the spring, and botom plate to pull the wheel. I thought I'd just snip and attach a sfety wire to retrieve it aftert he wheel nut is replaced.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks