• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to me 923 loud noise from transmission?

I just bought a new to me M923. I have checked the fluid looks good. I put the t-case in N and the trans in N. When I turn the drive shaft off of the transmission and turn it by hand back and forth I hear what sounds like loose needle bearings. Has any one on hear had the back tail shaft off of the allison. When driving it down the road it makes a very loud noise whining noise when you let off the accelerator pedal.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I would swing by my local allison dealer have them check it out. A rear bearing may be an easy fix now but not if it gives out on the road later. But that's just my opinion.

Has any one had the tail housing off? I would like to know if its needle bearings in there. Ive tryed google and searched on here. Someone has had to have this off. I would have to drive the truck 30 miles to the local dealer.

Last edited:

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I googled it. It does appear the output shaft has a needle bearing. I found several of the tools to remove the bearing online but no pics of the bearing itself. I believe it can be replaced without removing the trans. You probably have to drain the fluid and the bearing can be pulled and a new one pressed in.

When I was looking at the tail housing today it does look like I can pull it off with out removing the trans. I was just wanting to know what Iam going to get into. I would of thought someone on here would have some first hand experience with this trans.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Call the trans shop, before taking it apart.

The trans shop wants 128.00 an hour to figure out what is wrong and he said normally they can find out what is wrong in two hours. He did say if it is the rear bearings I dont need any special tools.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks