• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

"New to me CUCV" questions

Bought a m1009 today, drove it home (about 160mi.) It seems to really tac out before it shifts, and when it finally does, shifts a little hard. It appears to have a new modulator, new fluid and a new pan. I am very limited in my knowledge of these or any vehicle, but truly wish to begin to learn. I understand that the modulator and vaccum control valve are adjustable by turning a certain screw? Which one? I read something about turning a screw toward or away from the firewall to adjust its shifting. Additionally, when I start it cold, it sometimes sputters out quickly, then is very difficult to start again, requireing me to pump the gas like crazy to get it to start. When it does start it then squeals quite a bit until it warms up. the starter has some oil on it looks fresh. I am a total rookie pictures would really help. Thank You

mistaken1

There is a vacuum pump that is regulated by a valve linked to the throttle to send throttle position dependent vacuum to the modulator on the transmission. It could be any of those things including hoses as well as the modulator on the transmission.

Download the manuals for the resources section at the top of the page. (that and wait for someone with more experience than me to chime in :) )

ralbelt

Mine shifted just like yours. It was vac lines. Pull your air filter there is one running under it from the vac pump to the front, just replace all of them probably the best $10.00 you will spend.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Like it has been said, replace all the rubber lines. Helps 99% of the time.

Also the Throttle Vacuum Valve may need to be adjusted..

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/50568-cucv-throttle-vacuum-valve-adjustment.html

Or when the modulator was replaced, it may also have an adjustment screw inside the hose nipple.

Your starting issues sound like the typical air leak into the fuel system.

If you fold down the drivers side sun visor, you will see the proper starting instructions. "Pumping The Gas" does nothing to help start a diesel.

Last edited:

3dubs

The way simple minds like mine work;

Standing in front of the truck looking at the engine The injection pump is top, front, and center. On your left side of the IP or the passenger side you will see a black plastic peace with hopefully a vacuum line coming of it. There is a screw that locks it in place. If you loosen the screw you can turn the plastic piece to adjust it. But before you do that pull the vacuum line off and go to the parts store and get more. Unless it looks new.

Bonus answer. Any electrical problems take all the connections apart and clean them with contact cleaner. That is how I fixed my headlights and windshield wipers.
Go to the CUCV FAQ Article and you will find all the CUCV Tech Manuals.http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showwiki.php?title=wiki:Cucv

cjtroutt

CW2 26 BDE HHC S6
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Warthog is right He has lots of knowledge.

I done V lines & VRV MOD On my M1009 & just figured out that My trans was tired out
Final clutch pack & seals was gone.

84 M1009 in DS Maintenance for Total rebuild Frame off.
86 M1028A2 MC Ready for duty.

Thank You all. Sunday I will be able to finally get out and work on it. Im straight up psyched about learning about this vehicle. I appreciate your patience, and will likely have other questions.