• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to me m1008 hard starting

akcucv

I just bought my first cucv and I am having difficulties trying to start it. It quit running for the previous owner. He took it to his buddy mechanic that told him it was the IP. He changed the fuel filter.

I had to change the battery cables and batteries. Once I got that done I tried starting it. It turns over and acts like it wants to fire but wouldn't unless I held down on the accelerator pedal. It ran for a minute with the pedal held down, but now it won't start either way. I tried bleeding the fuel system. Has good fuel pumping out of the lift pump. Cracked the injector lines and had fuel drip from a couple and some others barely got wet. Had voltage at the pink wire. Had voltage at the pink wires with the key on off of the GP solenoid. Is my IP really bad or could it be glow plugs. Oh, and the first time firing it off the "wait light" came on, but now it doesn't, but i do hear the selonoid clicking off about 8 secs later.

akcucv

please help me!!

Oh and also it was about 100 degrees out when i was working on this so this leads me to believe my injection pump isn't working. Does anybody have any information for me to condem it before i waste money on the wrong thing? Today i bleed the all of the fuel injectors and some barely got wet, meaning not really a drip but did have fuel coming out, shouldn't there be a good drip assuming my injection pump is good?

appalacious

Oh and also it was about 100 degrees out when i was working on this so this leads me to believe my injection pump isn't working. Does anybody have any information for me to condem it before i waste money on the wrong thing? Today i bleed the all of the fuel injectors and some barely got wet, meaning not really a drip but did have fuel coming out, shouldn't there be a good drip assuming my injection pump is good?
can you tell i'm diggin deep here?
how do you bleed a fuel injector?
The reason i ask is because i'm still having starting issues.
My batteries are topped off. the GPs are new and I manually activate them at the relay for about 6 sec. x 2 (short break in between). I bled the filter and saw alot of foamy fuel at first, and then nice clean fuel and then plugged it back up.

Is there any way to test the IP? Thats a piece of the puzzle I haven't acquainted myself with yet. Also, how much pedal can you give it to start? Are these trucks prone to flooding?
J

ccequipment

I had some fuel issues with my M1009, thought it was the lift pump, replaced it, and still would not start right after sitting overnight. I guy told me to check the fuel filter housing because the are famous for cracking. Sure enought mine was cracked, it now starts like a champ.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
can you tell i'm diggin deep here?
how do you bleed a fuel injector?
The reason i ask is because i'm still having starting issues.
My batteries are topped off. the GPs are new and I manually activate them at the relay for about 6 sec. x 2 (short break in between). I bled the filter and saw alot of foamy fuel at first, and then nice clean fuel and then plugged it back up.

Is there any way to test the IP? Thats a piece of the puzzle I haven't acquainted myself with yet. Also, how much pedal can you give it to start? Are these trucks prone to flooding?
J
To bleed the injectors you need to crack all the lines loose and turn the engine over untill you get fuel with no air bubbles at every injector closing each line as the air clears out. If you tried to start it before you bled the filter you've probably got air in the IP.

appalacious

To bleed the injectors you need to crack all the lines loose and turn the engine over untill you get fuel with no air bubbles at every injector closing each line as the air clears out. If you tried to start it before you bled the filter you've probably got air in the IP.
crack all the lines loose? I havent looked it over, but that sounds violent. It doesn't damage anything does it?
J

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
crack all the lines loose? I havent looked it over, but that sounds violent. It doesn't damage anything does it?
J
I guess I should have been more clear :oops:. It's common slang around here.

What I was trying to say is take a wrench and loosen the injector lines where they go into the injector. You don't want to take the line off, just loosen them a little. Hence the term "crack" :-D.

appalacious

I guess I should have been more clear :oops:. It's common slang around here.

What I was trying to say is take a wrench and loosen the injector lines where they go into the injector. You don't want to take the line off, just loosen them a little. Hence the term "crack" :-D.
Ah, so I loosen the the nut and let fuel leak out- and when its good and clear tighten the nut again. Is there some way to keep that thing from starting while my heads over it? I guess I could just not cycle the GPs for that job.
J

scottc

You got it! Probably a leak in the system. Drains down overnight. Make sure the check valve on top of the pump is clear and operating. These tend to get clogged. It returns extra fuel to the tank. If clogged it will stop the free flow of fuel through the pump. Easy to remove and clean. Good luck.

twright

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I was trying to get jhenderson truck started I found that the fuel filter housimg was stop up on the side that goes to the IP cleaned it out now starts every time.

appalacious

sounds like i have a heap of work to do on my fuel system.
I was able to get it to fire today:-D
Unfortunately, it wouldn't stay "lit".
It would rev really high and burn out. This happened twice.
I'm sure glad I got that battery charger.
J