• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to site: getting first M1009

livehistory_alnc

Ok i am new to the site but I have been lurking for a while, I stumbled onto GL.com and saw the M1009 and I remembered seeing a guy around town driving one and I alays thought they would be good trucks and personally i dont have a truck but have used my family's trucks to to my boat, go camping, etc. and I was like, "I want one of those" but for the right price. So I tried to get one in my state but the bid got to high and then in some of my neighboring states that wouldnt be to far of a drive has some and I am wanting one REALLY bad. Most of them say they will not start but from what I have been reading is that they mainly need some starting components which isnt to bad, i have done a couple of these to my vehicle , my wifes, and familys vehicle so it is nothing ne to me and i am kinda a shade tree mechanic. i have never messed with deisel though.

Also it doesnt come with a key but I see the black top key on ebay and I will get it after I finally get a truck.

My thing is I really like these trucks and I am gonna get one and when i go to pick it up I am proly gonna have it in tow behind my brothers or dads truck. My thing is: will there be anything I will need when I pick it up? I know i need to fill out an EUC and from what it sounds like it will take about a month to get it through, If/when I get it I will be back on I will see if it is an electric thing or if it something with the engine.

But i do say i have the sickness no and I want one of these thing so bad and looking at other things to I want something like an m35 now! Thanks for any help yall can give me.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to Steel Soldiers.

While you are waiting for your truck, spend some time reading up on the M1009 and issues other people have with them.

Make sure you visit the CUCV FAQ Article (CUCV Wiki) that is at the top of the page on the CUCV Forum. All of the CUCV Technical Manuals are listed and many other helpful bits of information.
Download the manuals for reference. Also the wiring diagrams are in the appendix.

Also checkout the FAQ Thread for CUCV's stickey. It is where we try to post helpful tips and tricks.

Almost every question you will have has been asked and answered many times. The advanced search will become your best friend. Please don't hesitate to ask something that you can't find.

When you win a truck on Government Liquidation, you pay for the vehicle, submit the proper EUC paperwork, and then wait up to 4 months for the first one to clear. Some people have been lucky that it only took 30 or so days but lately it has been 90+ days.

Then you pickup the truck, submit the SF-97 paperwork, pay your $60 fee and then wait another 30 or so days.

Then you go to your DMV and pay more money for the tag and registration.

Warthog

MuleMac01

Military vehicle collector
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to Steel Soldiers.

While you are waiting for your truck, spend some time reading up on the M1009 and issues other people have with them.

Make sure you visit the CUCV FAQ Article (CUCV Wiki) that is at the top of the page on the CUCV Forum. All of the CUCV Technical Manuals are listed and many other helpful bits of information.
Download the manuals for reference. Also the wiring diagrams are in the appendix.

Also checkout the FAQ Thread for CUCV's stickey. It is where we try to post helpful tips and tricks.

Almost every question you will have has been asked and answered many times. The advanced search will become your best friend. Please don't hesitate to ask something that you can't find.

When you win a truck on Government Liquidation, you pay for the vehicle, submit the proper EUC paperwork, and then wait up to 4 months for the first one to clear. Some people have been lucky that it only took 30 or so days but lately it has been 90+ days.

Then you pickup the truck, submit the SF-97 paperwork, pay your $60 fee and then wait another 30 or so days.

Then you go to your DMV and pay more money for the tag and registration.

Warthog

.................. So thats how GL works..............

LanceRobson

Some units changed the steering column locks so that the trucks did not have the standard key anymore and they didn't need to chain the steering wheel every time they got out of the truck. If the ad stated something like "starts and runs" and "no key" it likely has the original lock. If not I'd take a lock and the tools to change it. I think you need a lock plate tool.

A CUCV will not start under any conditions if the front battery does not have at least a partial charge. If the front battery is dead flat, shot, missing or has even one bad cell you'll play **** getting it started. Take two charged batteries and the chances of starting the truck will go up greatly.

To tow it you'll want to make sure the transfer case is in neutral with the front hubs unlocked.

Considering the M1009's weight and that it won't have working brakes, keep towing speeds very moderate. Although a 1 ton truck, especially a dually, may have the brute braking strength to handle a 5,000 pound plus load when stopping in a straight line if you hit the brakes on a curve or slope you could be jack-knifed in a heat beat.

Most folks find that leaving the steering column unlocked when towing and tieing the steering wheel in the centered position keeps the front wheels from wandering all over.

Welcome and good luck.

Lance

MuleMac01

Military vehicle collector
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some units changed the steering column locks so that the trucks did not have the standard key anymore and they didn't need to chain the steering wheel every time they got out of the truck. If the ad stated something like "starts and runs" and "no key" it likely has the original lock. If not I'd take a lock and the tools to change it. I think you need a lock plate tool.

A CUCV will not start under any conditions if the front battery does not have at least a partial charge. If the front battery is dead flat, shot, missing or has even one bad cell you'll play **** getting it started. Take two charged batteries and the chances of starting the truck will go up greatly.

To tow it you'll want to make sure the transfer case is in neutral with the front hubs unlocked.

Considering the M1009's weight and that it won't have working brakes, keep towing speeds very moderate. Although a 1 ton truck, especially a dually, may have the brute braking strength to handle a 5,000 pound plus load when stopping in a straight line if you hit the brakes on a curve or slope you could be jack-knifed in a heat beat.

Most folks find that leaving the steering column unlocked when towing and tieing the steering wheel in the centered position keeps the front wheels from wandering all over.

Welcome and good luck.

Lance
dont you need to disconnect the drive shaft from the diff? would't the trans heat up if you tow it that way?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks