• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to site, possible new truck owner

BigBoss

Hey fellas. Ive been in the market for a new car/winter vehicle and I may have the opportunity to buy a M1008(unknown year right now) for a dam good price. Ive not a whole lot of knowledge on these trucks so i was wondering if you guys could give me the info i needed.

Are their any point-specific problems these trucks have? Other than gas mileage, would they make a decent daily driver or more of a off-road rig?If I do purchase the truck, other than the obvious, should i check any certain parts to make sure their ok?
Also, im known to do all kinds of shit to cars i own, but id guess the aftermarket isnt big into these trucks, so is their anything i could do personally to improve the truck?

Appreciate any responses. later

poppop

I can't answer any of your questions as I have only five ton trucks and a Jeep. But there are plenty of people here that can answer any question you have. I just wanted to say WELCOME ABOARD!!!!! OOH, and nobody can get just one.

acetomatoco

Lesson one... All Cucv are Diesel... there were some early versions in Canada with 350 4 barrell, but not cucv for real... 1984-87... Almost all systems fail at some point in time as they are GM. there are numerous threads here on the Fuel system, the glowplug system, the starter system, the generating system ... the IP, the Ebrake, and the RUST....The dash cracking, the tailgate latches, the rear wiring, the seat cushions, the door latches, the windshield leaks, and the mixture of SAE and Metric fittings and the need for torx tools for the fasteners.. They are fascinating trucks, but for a daily driver, you need some basic knowledge of 20 year old trucks...The M1009 are faster over the road and get better FUEL mileage, the M1008 style is 4.56 gears and about 60 MPH maxed out and much worse mileage... etc etc etc...I have only had about 20 of them, but I am a glutton for Punishment... Today's problem is Gen 1 light does not come on and Gen 1 does not put out 15 volts, even after putting in a known good unit and putting the not working unit in a second truck where it did work... so I am looking tomorrow at the light bulb for gen 1 and the Gen 2 relay which lies under the dash with the voltmeter relay and the famous starter relay and the even more famous glow plug card...is mucho strange that gen 2 is giving the back battery 15 volts, but the front battery is staying at 11 volts... oh well...it is a cucv...

Jones

Welcome to the fold.
First thing to do when contemplating a MV is to make sure it has a clear civilian title. Lots of guys have ended up with rolling parts piles 'cause the military title was not there or was messed up too badly in transfer to resurrect. Even on a good day, a lot of DMVs are only dimly aware of what an SF97 is, let alone how to process them.