• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to the family.....M715! New pics and updates! Now finally finished!

exhogflyer

Ok, some more updates on the build.............going to install 18" Flex fan to help cooling as I haven't found a fan shroud. Painted my bridge plate, also blasted and painted my brush guard and battery box. Finished the install of the Selectro hubs, was missing a few small screws that I located. Also getting my 24v starter and alternator ovh'd and will be putting them back when I get them. Excitement builds!

Attachments

67Beast

Yep, been driving my M715 since 2004 without the fan shroud and stock fan and have never had the water temp get above 190 even in slow moving parades where there is not much airflow. Luckily both my M725 Ambulances have complete shrouds, but I'm super careful around them because I know they are very fragile and will likely crumble it handled much.

exhogflyer

Ok, another update. Got the starter back from the rebuilder and will install it soon. Also overhauled the carburetor, and installed the spider harness on the back of the gauge panel. I'm getting the alternator back this week from the rebuilder and should have my new seat cushions from Beachwood Canvas in a few weeks. Excitement builds! Basically left is wiring, blasting, and paint ( oh yeah and tires)

Attachments

exhogflyer

Ok, more progress today but it's on something different..........the steering wheel. Mine is in terrible shape but I can't find one. So I ground out the cracks in a "V" shape, filled them with JB Weld, and I'll sand them to shape ( most likely will need 2 coats). When done I'll repaint the wheel.

Attachments

SgtMajHarper

Ok, more progress today but it's on something different..........the steering wheel. Mine is in terrible shape but I can't find one. So I ground out the cracks in a "V" shape, filled them with JB Weld, and I'll sand them to shape ( most likely will need 2 coats). When done I'll repaint the wheel.
When I was "making" my truck right I did the same things with my steering wheel (I didn't make V cuts), just filled in the gaps I had, let dry (and shrink), fill the new smaller gaps, sand and eventually paint it. After @ 6 years, it still looks good and it has a couple of cracks back in that could use a touch up, but it still looks good.

exhogflyer

Ok, another update. Got the alternator back from the rebuilder and it's installed along with new belts and my Flex fan. And I located a set of correct ignition wires. Yup they were pricey but available stock seems to have dried up and it's not getting better for these old trucks that were never built in great numbers!

Attachments

exhogflyer

Ok, latest updates on the build: panel installed and wired, battery box in, batteries installed and wired. She runs!! Just finished painting the bed today and probably spray the bedliner this week. All tires are finally mounted ( beast of a job with those big 325/85R16's).

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks