• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to the group and have a question -803 in the back of a pickup

DaAntman

Well I want to say thanks for letting me join y’all I’ve been looking at getting a MEP-803. (Non trailered) to make as a standby for my house, and I didn’t see anyone post on it but has any one hauled one of them back home in their bed of a pickup I have a 2500 ram which it dimensions would fit no problem I just didn’t know if letterkenny would load it or not I really don’t want to. haul a trailer from Wisconsin or Illinois to penn and back . Plus I’m thinking on visiting friends at tobyhanna so less trailering the better. Thanks for the help

DaAntman

In all honestly I was thinking about doing chains through the bottom and then Having them
Load it that way and sling it figured less chance of a fork going through something

csheath

Got mine back in the day they were being sold at GL. Mine already had a gouge in the side but it didn't hit anything inside to cause damage.

Picked up in their Atlanta yard and the guy had no trouble forking from the end to load in the back of my F150.
20161208_142157.jpg

It didn't slide out easy at all using aluminum trailer ramps. I winched it out on a trailer. I had to put tension on the winch, then pry up on each skid. It would move a few inches each time and I would repeat the process until I had it off.
20161209_165952.jpg

I have picked it up using the sling method by using bucket forks and trailer straps. I put the straps for one end on the loader arms and the others on the forks. I kept it a few inches off the ground and moved slow. Make sure and have plenty of rear ballast if you try this at home. :) I have a 1200 lb ballast for my 3pt for doing loader and grapple work.
generator-move.jpg

Ray70

The trick I use for 80X machines in trucks is that I purchased 4 6' x 1" wide lift straps.
I loop 1 end through the D-rings then through the eye on the other end of the strap to cinch 1 end around the ring.
Then bring all 4 straps together and secure the 4 eyes to a shackle etc. then lift from the shackle.
This way there is no chance of anything slipping, shifting etc.
Also straps are more forgiving on the paint then chains are, if you have a nicely painted machine, just be sure the door handles are folded in so a strap doesn't get caught on it and break a handle.