• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to the M1009

DanzboysM1009

SS Crew-

I'm new to the M1009 and looking at one that has a few issues. My main o=purpose will be a play vehicle for me and my boys, but will have to drive it on the highway from time to time. I understand that the high speed is 55mph as is and I've read a few things about how to help this. My questions is:

Is it better to leave the 3.08 gears in the axles and get a rebuilt 700R4 to get a better highway speed?

I also understand that the radiator is leaking on the one I want to purchase. Is this a special radiator or can I get any replacement for a 6.2 diesel? There's a new one on Ebay for $269.00. I'm a decent wrench and could put it in myself, what are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your help and I look forward to asking you more questions and getting more help.

LCDR Dan

Gottlos

Former 95B Ft Sam Houston
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello and welcome,

When my M1009 was rock stock I could get it up to about 65 to 70 mph. The major downside was anytime I encountered a hill that mph dropped off something fierce. How are your tires? It is my opinion that the TH400 is a very good/strong transmission, but overdrive is nice.

As you will find all over this site CUCV's have known things to be aware off. Wiring is probably the biggest thing. U-joints, drive shafts, injection pumps, glow plugs.

There are numerous folks on this site that should be classified a CUCV gods.:)

Oldsouthernboy

I had a small leak in my radiator, I spent a few dollars on a bottle of Barstols stop leak,Directions say to have the radiator cool, shake well, pour in, drive 300 miles in the next couple of days. I have not leaked a drop after treatment. Try this first, a lot cheaper than a new one.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The pickups are the ones limited to 55 due to 4.56 gears. Your M1009 will cruise comfy at 65 to 70. If you go to the 700R4 you be better served with gears such as the 3.73. Radiator shoud be a common part. Welcome aboard.

Hightechken

Yep, The M1009 will cruise right along at 65+ MPH no problem, (And get good fuel mileage doing it too) Unlike the others (M1031, 1010, 1028 etc) with the "low" 4.56-1 gears that have a top speed of 50-55.
What I didn't expect was the NOISE. The M1009 in it's stock form is really loud. They have no Chevy sound deadning of any type. So some aftermarket carpeting, etc would really help out in the loud noise department.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to SteelSoldiers.

Make sure you visit the Cucv Wiki - Steel Soldiers::Military Vehicles Supersite (CUCV Wiki) that is at the top of the page on the CUCV Forum.

All of the CUCV Technical Manuals are listed and many other helpful bits of information.

Make sure you download the repair manuals. You can get then for free. A couple of our members have posted them on their websites.

Also the wiring diagrams are in the appendix of the -20 and -34 manuals.
JATONKAM35s HOME ON THE WEB

Also checkout the http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/20600-faq-thread-cucvs.html stickey. It is where we try to post helpful tips and tricks.

Almost every question you will have has been asked and answered many times. The advanced search will become your best friend. Please don't hesitate to ask something that you can't find.

Read the TM 9-2320-289-10 Operators Manual to find out how a stock system should work. It is simular to the Operators Manual for Civilian vehicles. It tells you where all the lighs, switches, etc are located and what they do.

Three of the most important tools you can buy are:

Voltmeter and know how to use it - ~$10 and up
12v Battery Charger - ~$50 for a decent one
Battery Load Tester - ~$30 for an okay one at Harbor Freight

Warthog

DanzboysM1009

Thanks for the well wishes, thought about using Bars Stop Leak in the radiator first, but wasn't sure if there would be a problem with using it, check, problem one down.

I talked to the guy again and he said he had to replace a brake line that broke, but hasn't been able to bleed the brakes, said there's something special to it. I've tried to get to the technical manuals, but it says they're offline. Tried the link next to it and it did the same thing. Can anyone tell me how difficult it will be to bleed the brakes? I can't wait to get the rig home...

LCDR Dan

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you click on JaTonka's link for the tech manuals? You can alway buy a Chilton or Haynes manual.

The M1009 is just a K5 Blazer with a few military upgrades. The military used DOT5 brake fluid instead of DOT3. The only special item to watch for is the warning switch on the proportioning valve. All covered in any manual.

Last edited:

ranchhopper

Your radiator can be recored they use the tanks from your existing unit they just solder in a new core and its like a new radiator. Check around for prices but a recore should be a bit cheaper than a new one your just paying for their labor and the new core by going this way but at the price of copper the core will be pricy nowdays.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks