• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Proper paint codes for 1986 M1008 CUCV ?

flyfishtrailer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to SS and nice truck to start the addiction. There are a TON of threads involving all of the proper paint codes if you do a search. Using the search tools also will give you a lot of threads to read and a lot of different ways to do the same thing correctly. Also, if you were not aware, there is a section that has all of the technical manuals (TM's) you need to service and repair your truck. There is also a ton of knowledge in here, but most will tell you to do as I have described above before asking questions that have been asked and answered many many times. Good luck with the restoration and keep us posted with pictures

Mrgior31513

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Screenshot_20230422-125755(1).png

I found this in a few minutes looking up 'paint codes' on this site. This is a wonderful and resource rich environment, with tons of people that have massive amounts of knowledge to share, and significant amounts they already have. With owning these kinds of energy intensive trucks, it is usually far more expected and respected to simply try to help yourself before asking, and it's a fair point.

I would say it's not a problem of the community, but rather a feature. As these trucks are not for the faint of heart, and require a decent amount of work and/or upkeep to simply keep on the road: it's basically a ton of 'dad energy' involved in the process of asking for help among a bunch of self-help capable individuals.

Today I power washed my front cross member and cut out 7 rivets so I can move it forward 5" so I don't have to remove the transmission in my engine swap project. I also finished disconnecting the air line and fuel lines from the cross member under the transmission so I can block it as well as chain it up. I don't know if I'm going to run into any more issues in removing that motor beyond the front oil pan, but it seems worth the effort when I'm working with forklifts for that pull, a lot safer given the motor and weights involved.

What I've learned today: flame cutting the rivets with a plasma cutter can a bit of a pain if you haven't done it before, but the last 4 were a ton easier than the first three. While I'm a metal worker, I've never worked with rivets before, and you're better off running those heads as low as you can go before you try tapping them out, and work it to a point in the center of the rivet. It helps when you go to tap it the rest of the way out. It's the difference between 25 fruitless whacks with going back to the plasma and 3-4 satisfying whacks.

Old Smoky

Welcome to SS and nice truck to start the addiction. There are a TON of threads involving all of the proper paint codes if you do a search. Using the search tools also will give you a lot of threads to read and a lot of different ways to do the same thing correctly. Also, if you were not aware, there is a section that has all of the technical manuals (TM's) you need to service and repair your truck. There is also a ton of knowledge in here, but most will tell you to do as I have described above before asking questions that have been asked and answered many many times. Good luck with the restoration and keep us posted with pictures
Thank You.

flyfishtrailer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank You.
Your welcome. My first piece of Green Iron (with engines as I have had several trailers) was a M1028 dually truck. Had a lot of fun and learned a lot on this forum from those in the know. My stepson drives it as his daily now (although he has done some mods I was not fond of). My current one is a M1078 2.5 ton and I just love it (plus a slew of trailers). Keep us posted on your progress.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To help narrow this down, if you are looking for the paint codes for 383 camouflage (green/black/brown) as on the hood of your truck, they are -
Green 34094
Brown 30051
Black 37030

The complete repaint camo patterns are in TB 43-0209 manual in the manuals forum.

Cheers

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks