• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New trailer?

armadillofz1

on Rt. 70 today i saw a low boy hauling 4 new trailers to, i presume, Ft. Meade. They looked about the size of an M101, but from the quick glance i got they almost looked like injection molded heavy Plastic. The truck was headed in the other direction but i got a good enough look to know they weren't 101s. any ideas?

Boreal21

Probably M1101 or M1102 trailers. They are made of aluminum, but still weigh as much as a M101 trailer.
Yeah, I was disappointed to see the weight. I was hoping for something a little lighter to pull behind my wrangler when I'm camping etc. M416 would be perfect... if I could find one that wasn't ridiculously priced.

armadillofz1

yeah i hear you on the 416. i lucked into mine for free when a friend gave it to me for emptying the trash in it. wasnt till i did a bit of research that i discovered that they are about $1000 in decent shape.

back to the 1101 and 1102, you'd think that half the reason to make it out of aluminum would be to save weight. other half i guess is rust prevention.

Nonotagain

Cool trailer. I like the aluminum. No rust!!!
They don't "rust" but they do corrode.

If you look around the rivet holes you will find that the paint will be bubbled. When the sheet metal is drilled the corrosion preventative feature applied in the bulk clean/conversion coat/prime operation is removed.

The only reason that I can see for the weight being the same as the M101 series trailers is that the M1101/1102 trailers are wider than the M101 which would add weight, but since the body panels are field replaceable the trailer body panels aren't welded in place.

The number of doublers required for this type of assembly add lots of weight, plus with the gross weight listed for the trailer you can't just slap .032-.040 aluminum in place then attempt lifting the trailer or you just made a "tan beer can".