• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NEW type of CARC

edpdx

In the middle of painting my M1009 with fresh "383" from Gillespie. I have read that it looks and finishes: "a little lighter than CARC" or"a little shinier than CARC. When I compared the dried "383" to CARC, I do see that the CARC IS both lighter and smoother/shinier. Sooooo... if this is the case why doesn't Gillespie darken "383" a little and flatten it out?

I am NOT a paint expert so these are just lay observations- *not blaming them for making a sub-standard product in the least- glad it's available, in fact. Just wondering in print. I have read that some have tried to flatten it with various degrees of success. Other may have attempted to darken it a bit. Others swear that it is "Good OR close enough". Still if it is not spot-on... why don't they change (read improve) it?

Before you flame me- if you are thinking about it re-read*

edpdx

K-then. Anyone have a tried and true method for flattening the "383" and darkening it as well?

edpdx

I guess its not too late; but since I have already paid for the paint and the HAZ MAT fee... I will use it up. Besides, part of the reason I went with 383 is that I wanted to avoid CARC and all the potential hazards I, as a novice painter with a modest shop, bring into the equation. I have already painted the tailgate and front clip with Gillespie, and it looks great! Even coverage, no runs; but I think there is a bit of sheen in the paint, and it looks a little light compared to the MILSPEC trucks I see at the nearby base.

Darkening the paint seems like a no brainer for the manufacturer; but I am no expert on what the paint may finish as after it cures. Will it lose the slight sheen? Will it darken (or possibly get even lighter) :cry: ? I would have to guess that they surely could make the color the "perfect" match to CARC if they felt it was not already so...

So, has anyone heard why the general consensus feels that 383 is too shiny and too light and what Gillespies thinks of this overall observation? And, why, if in fact they even could, don't they do something about adjusting their product?

ranchhopper

Thats why I just bought 10 gallons of the 383 green stage one CARC the good stuff. My friend painted his 818 with gillespie no complaints but he just bought a couple gallons of 383 green from me to paint his deuce.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks