• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

new way to bob rear of a deuce

ApopkaFL

Banned
I was talking to a friend today about bobbing my deuce. He has been building them for a while now and showed me new way to do the rear axle. This is very effective way to bob your deuce. Taken from a Peter-built semi rear end. he said everything bolts right in and only welding is on the rear end to the sway bar. Now you have a air ride.. what do you guys think about this ideal?

Photos:

Attachments

camoyj7

The track bar on the top of the axle will have to be changed. The Peter-built doesn't use a top loading axle so you would have to fab something up. It would be cool though.

RealCavDog

Those Peter-Bilt Air-Trac suspension cut-offs are pretty popular in the OTR custom market for reasons a bit different than the MV market.

The Air-Trac is what you have pictured, the Air-Leaf supports the airbag from a z-shaped leaf spring, and the Flex-Air uses a bid curved front facing leaf, also used bt Kenworth (Paccar) ! Also one called the Low Air-Leaf. The one you have shown from your friend is by FAR the preferred choice, in my opinion ! Here in Joplin, 4-States can barely buy wrecked donors fast enough to keep up !

The main selling point is the low profile of the ride from the top of the frame rail, in essence lowering the fifth wheel , and then raising the plate to allow the installation of custom fenders, IE, fiberglass or stainless full fenders, and keeping the trailer under 13'6''!

As sought after as they are, they are plentiful and have proven to be very durable and strong, on road ! Not sure how it would handle any serious twisting and flexing, in addition to being able to mount the top loaders ?

Will be very interested to see how this works out, despite the fact that when I saw the pictures my reaction was " NO ! , I've been trying to get away from 379/389 trucks ! "

P.S. Not to mention, you could build two Bobbed Deuces out of 1 tandem cut-off !
Do keep us posted !

Last edited:

markaroe

I have been trying to find time to research this.
Your Friend has done some fine work on this.
Have you ridden in it and how does it ride?
Do you have more specific information?
Where did he find the setup?
New or used? how much? how did he find a salvage yard
I have been thinking this would be great for a daily driver.

colelkhunter

you guys are missing one important thing about using a road tractor rear end. AIR BRAKES. In tennessee and most states that makes it a commercial vehicle requiring a CDL to operate it. I think it is a slick idea for the suspension, but not worth it in my opinion. I have build three bobbed deuces so far with another planned to be built shortly. I think the power to weight ratio of the truck is the problem, not the rear suspension. I have had nothing but good luck using stock front suspension with a couple leaves removed and good shocks added.

colelkhunter

ir you are using the deuce rear axle then I say, rock on. Great idea. I will say this however, most semi tractors that are bobtailing ride worse than my duece bobber ever did. Even with the air ride and air ride seat. takes weight to smooth them out. i would assume that you would be able to adjust it to where it was a smooth ride. Also keep in mind that the front axle has more to do with ride quality in the cab than the rear. soften your front suspension up and you will see a huge difference.

eldgenb

the bobbers that I build with the trailer rear leaves are the best riding deuce I have ever been in, the spring rate is perfect for a bobber. Justin Wehring did this to a 9 series 5 ton in the mod forum, you can see his work there if you like.

big block 88

Interesting I would need to see how he is seting up the suspension on a duece though to know if it looks like a good idea, in thought it looks like a great idea. I need to see it on an application

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks