• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New York State Heavy Vehicle Inspection??

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All,

I have NYS commercial plates on my M35A2C only because it weighs over 5,200# and that makes it need commerical plates. (My Dodge 1500 has comm plates also because of the weight) I am going for a NYS Heavy Truck inspection, because it is over the weight limit for passenger cars/trucks. I cant find a list of what they check on the NYS DMV website. Any fellow New Yorkers have any helpful info?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
RE: Historic

I like Ohio's law, it says you have a limited # of miles you can drive the vehicle per year. I have asked many LEOs and none of them have ever seen or heard what that number is.

YankeeDuece

I also have historic plates on my Deuce. Restrictions...what restrictions, I drive when I what, as far as I want, haul when/want or carry who (or is it whom) ever I want and have had no problems. My yearly inspection consists of a group of mechanics gathered around for a "Q and A" session. $15 later and I am good for another 12 months. Insurance, $90.00 a year.

Sorry for the rambling...what was the question? Did I answer anything?

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I dont quailify for historical plates, as the truck is not 25+ years old.. Even if I did, there are too many restrictions on them for my taste and what I plan on using it for on the use of the truck with historical plates.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can register it with commercial plates and keep the registered weight under 18000 lbs(ie 17999) and then you don't need the heavy inspection. If registered under 18000 lbs, you will be able to get it inspected at a normal auto inspection station.

Also remember that if you have commercial plates and the vehicle(gvwr) is over 10000 lbs you now need a USDOT number displayed on the truck (this even applies to a pickup truck and trailer combination if it is over 10000 lbs. The US DOT # is required for Agricultural plates also, but not needed for intrastate Farm plates. I don't know if it is required with Historic plates.

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
My inspector asks which I prefer(deuce). I have been getting the heavy vehicle insp.

I dont quailify for historical plates, as the truck is not 25+ years old..
Albany can make exceptions if you can prove your vehicle has "historical significance". I did this with the GTO before it qualified for the historical reg(and vintage plates). I went to custom plate Albany (second floor, core 4) in person, twice now(deuce and GTO,Stolly was by mail). Each time was a very pleasant experience and saved the 6 week wait. This may interest some : the vintage plate allows any type to be used on any vehicle, as long as paint is original and applicable for date... I am using 'Official' plates on the MV's. The law allows for, say, the taxi plate on semi-truck. JimK

sprucemt

DOT

So if you go ligit, this would include US DOT or NY DOT reg and numbers. You are in fact over 10000 lbs, in commerece and this vehicle is not your sole means of transportation. If you plan on going out of state, US Dot numbers are required. In state only, would require NY Dot numbers. Log books are required and your hours of operation come into play. I would suggest strongly that you obtain the "Federal Motor Safety Regulations" manual and study up. The other option is to go buy a farm and get "farm plates". Who could argue that surplus doesn't grow on trees. I just saw a MOLLE tree the other day.