• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newb with some questions 86- M1009

Seabeecucv

Hey all,

I was reading thru the TM section to get some info on the M1009. It states that the front springs are 56 and the rears are 52, is that correct for an 86 K5 Blazer CUCV M1009? I've been told that is not right?? I'm wanting to install an all spring 6" lift, but need to know before I order. I'm in the process of buying the truck now, deployed currently or i would just measure them. Also, for 15x10 wheels what is the best bacspacing to use? I don't want the tires any further outside the fenders than i have to.

I like this site, lot's of good info!

Thanks!

ssgtwright-usmc

These are Mil vehicles and have heavier weight compared to its civilian counterpart. The springs are longer for the weight. Go with the TM and not the civilian books. I have a few websites that you can go to to buy springs if you are going to lift your truck.
If you are unsure of the springs, have someone measure from center of each eye bolt to the other and then at least you be able to order with confidence.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Generous motors offered trucks with 52" and 56" rear springs. The fronts are shorter for sure. DIY4X sells a kit to put rear 52s on the front of your CUCV. I'd just go with a commercial lift kit and be done with it. JW4X4 did some shopping and can recommend a brand.

kennyw

The front springs are the same length on all civilian & military trucks, 49" long IIRC.

When it comes to the rear, 52 and 56" springs were both used. 52" is standard on most 1/2 tons 56 is standard on most 3/4 and 1 ton trucks... but I say most. It is always best to measure because there are exceptions. I have never owned an M1009 so I don't know which one they used on the rear. I am sure they made them all the same if someone was able to measure another M1009 for you.

That being said, I would suggest you look at a shackle flip instead of rear lift springs. It will ride better and flex better. DIY4X: Catering to those who enjoy doing it themselves. makes a nice one.

Sgt Hulka

First. Thank you for your service. Come home safe! Second, go slow. Be cautious. I trust the TMs before I trust anything else. I've heard so many conflicting stories about the suspension on M1009s, it pays to sort through it before spending any money. Besides, the stock setup it outstanding IMHO...

Seabeecucv

Thanks! Were do I find CUCV for sale from members? Not getting the warm fuzzy from the person selling the one I had planned to buy.

Sgt Hulka

Check the classifieds in the right column of the home page on SS... Once you get there, you can select "Vehicles." And if the guy you're dealing with is a jerk, forget him. It especially ticks me off he'd treat US Military that way. There are plenty out there for sale, some can be had for good bargains. Again. TAKE YOUR TIME. Figure out what your selection criteria is, make a list and stick to it. I had to buy two before I figured this out (though I ended up doing well, more by luck than planning).

For example, how much rust can you tolerate? Is the body and grill guard straight? Is the tailgate straight ( not very often). Etc. Just be hyper aware of what repairs and rehab and expense you're buying. And as i say, there are some good ones out there. Patience! Nice Chevelle BTW... Got a '66 Chevy in my garage. A plastic one. 427 Stingray roadster.

And yes, the Seabees sure can!

AJMBLAZER

15x10's are a bit wide. What size tire do you want to run?
3.5-4" is the ideal backspacing on these trucks.

These are Mil vehicles and have heavier weight compared to its civilian counterpart. The springs are longer for the weight. Go with the TM and not the civilian books. I have a few websites that you can go to to buy springs if you are going to lift your truck.
If you are unsure of the springs, have someone measure from center of each eye bolt to the other and then at least you be able to order with confidence.
Wrong. They don't weigh any more than a civilian K5. In fact, I'd bet my '89 K5 weighs more than a M1009. They just have standard 1/2 ton springs for the highest GVWR for a K5 Blazer that GM had at the time. There really isn't anything that is military specific aside from the brushguard, shackles and mounts, and the starting system. The rest is all standard GM parts bin stuff circa 1984 or so.

The only thing with lift springs to consider is that these trucks have the diesel so a HD lift spring would be better than a soft lift spring meant to hold up a small block or inline 6.

The front springs are the same length on all civilian & military trucks, 49" long IIRC.

When it comes to the rear, 52 and 56" springs were both used. 52" is standard on most 1/2 tons 56 is standard on most 3/4 and 1 ton trucks... but I say most. It is always best to measure because there are exceptions. I have never owned an M1009 so I don't know which one they used on the rear. I am sure they made them all the same if someone was able to measure another M1009 for you.

That being said, I would suggest you look at a shackle flip instead of rear lift springs. It will ride better and flex better. DIY4X: Catering to those who enjoy doing it themselves. makes a nice one.
Kenny speaks the truth. I'd also suggest Offroad Design - Fullsize Chevy GM 4x4 Suspensions, Parts and Performance and the classifieds section at Colorado K5 - Full-Size GM 4x4 Restoration and Off Road Community .

52" on M1009's and 56" on M1008's. Standard 1/2 ton and 1 ton stuff.