• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbie Airforce Guy

RedFang

Hello!

So, my Jeep Cherokee died... :*( and I got a car in the mean time to drive around. I had planned on getting a new diesel truck. However, with the car payment and the rest of my life I have decided to get a older diesel truck.

My dad, retired Air Force, mentioned the surplus military market. I have been wandering around the internet for a few months and finally figured I should join this forum and see what knowledge you all have for me to absorb. :)

I'm active duty Air Force stuck out here in the California desert... :( why not the Arizona desert or the New Mexico desert... or freaking even the Texas desert I have no idea... at least those other deserts would let me have "real guns" :p.

Anyways, so I like Deuces, but I also like M1008 or M1028s. I would love to have both, but I also don't plan on retiring in the CA so I will have to transport my vehicles to my next base. So I can really only deal with one of them right now.

I had this insane idea to use a deuce to tow my car and my jeep to my next base. However the thought of the gas mileage and getting bullied with three axels and or towing two vehicles at the same time made me throw that idea away.

Now I figure, I will get a M1008/M1028 and use it was my hunting/light offroading vehicle, and when I do leave this state I will sell either the jeep or the car and tow just one of them with the pickup.

How does that sound?

SPCHowe

I would definitely go with a CUCV if you're looking for a simple, easy to maintain diesel. Not too sure about the possibility of having to drive it across the country if that's where the Air Force sends you next.

Flyingvan911

Ditto. The deuce is big and cool but not practical for a daily driver in most cases. I love my deuce but I'd be worn out if I drove it everyday.

combatmech

Welcome to the MV addiction support network. Which ever MV you choose..... READ EVERYTHING about it. Lets hope you can go and inspect your potential purchase.
The CUCV series can be a fun and reliable vehicle to own. I drove a deuce overseas as a daily driver. Good thing I didnt have to drive it very far.....
Edwards cant be all that bad. I survived NAS Fallon for two years
Welcome to the site and good luck in your search!! Keep us posted....

ryan77

Get a m1009 you can fit your buddies in it! You can off road, you can go 70 on the highway, You can move with it by flipping the seat up!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks