• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbie From SW Oh Looking for an M35A2

touringfordor

Hello all, form SW Ohio! I am an old farm boy, looking for an M35A2 to haul stuff around on the acreage. I would appreciate any helpful hints on acquiring one, especially GL vs. a reseller. I have been rebuilding diesel and gas engines since I was a kid, and have driven medium duty trucks since I was 16. I currently have a Super Duty crew cab diesel that I use to tow a 35ft fifth wheel trailer, so I am somewhat familiar with larger vehicles.

I am trying to do all the homework, and have copies of the tech manuals. I have a friend who is a truck mechanic, a son with a CDL, and a friend who owns a trucking company, so I have local resources.

My main question now is whether to go the GL or reseller route. Is it possible to show up at a depot with batteries, filters, oil, fuel, and brake fluid and fire it up, or is it more likely that I will need to trailer it? Do you have time to try to get it running, or do they want you out of there ASAP?

Thanks, and don't beat me up too badly for silly questions! :)

Hello and welcome to the site! Gl Is a gamble I have heard of people putting in new batteries hoping in a driving off and others show up there truck is missing parts that where shown in auction pics or with a inch of sludge in the bottom of the fuel tank. or the infamous forking:shock: When you buy from a dealer you will spend more $4000-up but most everything is checked out and fixed as necessary. I will buy form the classifieds on here. because there are no dealers near me and then i can meet some cool people.

These trucks are very durable when properly maintained and capable of large loads.

gunboy1656

Welcome, sounds like your off to a better start then most of the new guys/girls. From the resources you list I would go with the GL route, find a truck you like with whatever options you want on it, take the mechanic friend when you go do a preview, and you should be fine. As was mentioned there is many fators to a truck from GL, but seems as though you have enough help if things go bad. and since I am going to guess your new to GL, be prepared for a long wait for your first truck.

A deuce is not a lot bigger then the super duty, only thing you really gain is the extra bed...and cool factor.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
welcome , if your not in a hurry GL may be the way to go . As for putting batteries and driving home its a crap shoot ,the biggest time with GL is do a inspection prior to bidding.
Some bases will let you drive them off (if able to ) some require them to be towed or trailered off the base it is up to the base commander.Then there is 30 to 90 days for EUC to clear and another 30 days after you pick the truck up to receive the SF-97 form so you can begin the process to tittle it. With a private seller you can test drive , if you like it pay him drive home with tittle in hand ( if he dosen't have tittle in hand don't buy it ) goto your dmv transfer tittle buy plates and enjoy.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
If you are only going to be a one time buyer from GL I would try to find a private seller locally. It takes a lot of time and effort to deal with them.

You also get instant gratification since you can drive your prize home.

There are a lot of good SS troops in your neck of the woods. You should be able to fnd one near you.

touringfordor

Thanks for the valuable info. So, is the EUC before you bid, or after you win? If it is before I may go ahead now so I have the option to bid later.

touringfordor

Thanks to all for the valuable information. My goal is to purchase in late spring or early summer, so I will have plenty of time to read the forum threads and TMs.

Thanks again.

tom2147

I purchased my M35A2 from a guy in Waynesville Ohio last month. He had at least 8 at the time I purchased mine. He delivered it 200 miles to me for a very reasonable fee. If you'd like his name and phone number PM me.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks