• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbie... help with 809 model types

curtis73

I'm heading into uncharted territory :) I have a lot of customizing experience, particularly with trucks. My buddy (a commercial contractor/civil engineer of sorts) wants an M809 but we have lots of questions. He wants one that is basically a roll-back, so he can use it to transport 20' containers, dumpsters to and from jobsites. I'm not sure what its called, but they're set up so that you can modularly put different components on the back

-Am I correct that they come in three wheelbases? Which one would we need for a 20' components? Basically, at what wheelbase could we put 20' of something behind?
-What 5-speed tranny is in them? I assume its non-synchro. (he's concerned since he's never driven a non-synchro box)
-Am I correct in assuming that the 800-series is summarily better than the 900 due to the braking problems I hear about? Is that just rumor? Would we be better off with a 900?

Sorry for the ramblings of a new guy, but I want to get this guy started in the right direction.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Both series are good trucks. Common sense is all thats required to operate the brakes safely on the 900. You need the truck with the 215 wb to use a 20' bed. The 5 speed is a synchro box so no worries. Its a Spicer 6352 or 6453 (can't recall).

curtis73

Excellent! Thanks for the quick reply. My buddy was under the impression that there was a specific model that already was a modular rollback, is that true? I could only find info on dumps, cargo, bridge, fuel, and crane trucks.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M812 resembles a rollback or rolloff type system. The major problem is the truck is 114" wide. It could easily be adapted to rolloffs.

emr

The rollbacks i beleve are the PLS series, a 5 axle Oshkosh truck, palatized load system, Look it up on the web, they are the best rides out there, ... only not for commercial use, U will see why, the 900 is Your best truck for over the road use, but you realize these are tacticle vehicles, slow , and are not rated for weight as u may require either, and have quirks the true MV hobbiest knows and respects, they are off road trucks for sure,thinking U are going to get a truck to carry a 40 yd 8 ton they way i load em , container for a song because its a used military truck, u still need to do some more homework, for sparatic use for specialty box's i can see some use there, but there is a reason they are not all over the roads, there uses fit logging and oil type companies that have off road uses for these trucks on a daily basis,people have had those ideas since WW2, not street trucks. Randy

M1075

A bridge truck would be the closest to what you describe. The M809 series bridge launcher is built on the M812 chassis and the M939 series bridge launcher is an M945. The M945 is a better (and more expensive) truck. There is also an M821 bridge transporter, but it is basically a flatbed type truck. All bridge trucks are overwidth in stock form, although many have been modified to reduce overall width. Other choices include a PLS (M1074 or M1075) or LHS (M1120) or similar prototype vehicle. These trucks have Load Handling designed to handle 20' beds and/or containers and are similiar in design to commercial hooklift systems. Limited availability on these though.

If you get a M812 or M945 with a flat cargo pallet, you can operate it as follows:

Attachments

curtis73

This is great info. Just what I needed. My buddy found a few military surplus auction locations near us here in L.A. and another one up north somewhere. Now we just need to find one with the right models and go shopping.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is some friendly advice.. Stay WELL AWAY from flood damaged trucks... They are good for scrap metal value, little else.....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks