• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbie here

Caboose

Hi, I just joined but I've been creeping this site for years. I have finally decided to get a Deuce, which I think will be a great work/play vehicle. Anyway, I'm located in Lebanon, MO where I own a small independent auto repair shop. If anyone around here lives somewhere close, I'd love to come look at your MV (M35 in particular lol) and get a rundown in person of some of the ins n outs of these big brutes.

61sleepercab

Welcome to the site. I have a deuce and a 5 ton both. Each has pluses and minuses all their own. Used motor oil brew for fuel... go deuce, like 10 mph faster, power steering, automatic transmission and air brakes go 5 ton. The 5 ton high cab height makes you think you are up in the clouds like the old Ford Louisville trucks.

You could, if you are handy, graft a power steering box from a modern truck on a deuce . We just bought a 1985 salvage Ford LT 8000 cab and chassis with tires and wheels for $200.00 good for a steering box transplant.
I wish you were closer to try out the trucks in person. West Virginia would be a "furr piece" to come for a test drive. Good luck on the hunt. Mark

Caboose

Thanks for the info! I think a 5 ton would be just too big for me. I am planning on going to the 46" Goodyears on MRAP wheels with adapters. Also, my dad has an old Dogde school bus and a Ford F-700 dumptruck, both of which have power steering and both look like they would be pretty easy to adapt. I have a friend who lives in West Virginia, wish I was closer too haha. Appreciate the input a lot Mark.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site Sir. I'm partial to deuces but as said, lots of advantages with the 5 tonner. Take a few moments and download TM 9-2320-361-10. This is the owners manual and help you get familiar with a deuce long before you ever see one.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome aboard. I just sold a truck two weeks ago that we had swapped engines on and the buyer drove it from Dayton to Lubbock. Pretty sure they took 70 to 44 to 40.

I still have one for sale and an M813 that I may keep.

Caboose

Thanks for the tip Recovry, will definitely download that!

Tell me more about the one you still have for sale swbradley if you don't mind, like how much, year, etc. Im always looking and I have family friends in Louisville which is pretty darned close.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
welcome Caboose you will enjoy this site immensely! Looking for a Deuce, I am guessing an A2? I do not know what your budget is but for around 5K you should be able to find a pretty nice one, the things to look for are going to be how does it run and start, what is the rust/corrosion situation on the truck, how are the tires, where is it leaking and how much, how does the clutch feel, how do the brakes feel, you get the idea. You need to drive it and feel for any weird vibrations and how does it shift, when looking for oil leakes pay attention to the areas behind each wheel, if you see oil/grease spotting in these locations your going to have seals to replace, not a big deal but just be prepared. The Deuce is a great truck, pretty straight forward as far as repairs and all the systems are pretty easily and thoroughly explained in the TMs. When your drive it make sure that you actuate the front axle drive and put it into low range and drive it again listening for things that sound out of place. Parts are easily obtained and are usually fairly inexpensive, that is except for the radiator, check it carefully for any seeps/leaks etc, that part can be rather expensive to get. Go online and read through the TMs so you are at least somewhat familiar with the systems on the truck BEFORE you go looking, this will help you a lot in the evaluation of these trucks. LAST thing does the seller have the title in hand? If he does not I would very likely walk away from it because this item can turn into a real mess for you when the time comes that you want to title it in your name. When you find a likely candidate take pictures, post them here and ask opinions, if its all good then Rock On, if its not then its way better to find out BEFORE you lay your money out! Good luck and I would sure look through the classifieds online here first!
KK

Caboose

Thanks for the link swbradley, and thanks a bunch for all the great tips Karl. Thats why I joined this site, to get the skinny from people in the know such as yourselves.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks