• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbie With a Wiper Switch Question

rsh253

I have recently aquired my first M35 and have a question on the operation of the wiper switch: How is it suppose to operate?! It has been painted over and is stuck. I can't tell if it is suppose to turn clock-wise/counter-clockwise or pull-push and I couldn't find anything in the TMs which tells me. I need to know which way to apply some force. The truck has air operated wipers that I hope work a bit better than the vacuum wipers on my jeep. Thanks!

ems4ty

RE: Re: RE: Newbie With a Wiper Switch Question

I'd agree. Counter-clockwise is the rotation. You should hear the air bleeding out to the wiper motors.

rsh253

I just tried to turn it CCW, and it looks like I have a fight on my hands. It just doesn't want to turn. aua From your descriptions, it sounds like it may be valve & not a switch?

At least I know now how it is suppose to work. Thanks! If some paint thinner, WD-40 & brute force won't get it to budge, I'll shoot it with my .45 & buy a replacement. :lol:

-Russ

steelandcanvas

[quote="rsh253 I'll shoot it with my .45 & buy a replacement. :lol:
-Russ[/quote]

Yep, that should take care of it. [thumbzup] Is there a rubber hose running up to, and between the two wiper motors :?:

ems4ty

You are correct my friend. Should look like a knob. On the back side you should see 2 air lines, one going in from your air compressor and one going out to the wiper motors. No electrical wiring would indicate its a valve and not a switch. Good luck my friend!

rsh253

Success! And I didn't have to resort to violence. After I got some of the paint off the knob, I was able to see the set screws and get the knob off. Then it was a simple job of some WD-40 and a pair of pliers to get the valve rotating again.

Thanks again everyone for making this repair so easy for me. This forum is invaluable for us new guys!

Next up: replacing some leaking rear axle seals.

steelandcanvas

Good for you! Glad we could be of assistance! You might want to use the "Search" function to see if your question can ba answered there, it will save you some time so you're not waiting around for answers. Good you didn't have to get out the .45, you might have "fixed" the valve, but taken something else out, such as a fuel line, filter canister, IP, etc.

rsh253

John,

The search button & I are well aquainted. I used it a lot before deciding to get a M35. Now that I have it, I use the search trying to find answers to my many questions. The questions I end up posting are just the tip of my question ice burg!

Regards, Russ

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Russ, would like to see more of your Utica Bend including a pic of the data plate if you can.

rsh253

Hi Kenny,

I've been enjoying reading your posts.

I can take some photos tomorrow, including the data plate. It is suppose to be really nice here in Charlotte tomorrow & Monday, so I took the bed cover and top off the cab for the first time; and will take a drive topless (the duece, not me).

I've only had it for 3 weeks; but I drove it over 800mi from Louisiana. Not the smartest thing I've ever done. I'm planning on doing a short write-up in the trip when I get some time. The truck ran well & the trip went well, except the breather vents on both rear axles were plugged and I developed 3 rear wheel seal leaks. I was going to replace the seals this weekend, but couldn't find a socket locally for the axle nuts. I've ordered one so the job will have to wait until next weekend.

-Russ

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks