• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbie with Deuce Qs.

Lextreme

Hey Guys,

New to diesel but not gas engines. I love the multifuel features of the M35A2. I am in the market to get one and want to do some work to it for Camping/SHTF. Is there any recommendation of year and model? I contacted few local Craigslist sellers and met up with few of them. I even test drove some. I am also somewhat tempted with the M923 too but it doesnt have the multifuel feature. Any feedback to the newbie will be greatly appreciated.

poppop

With these trucks you really cannot be specific about year because there were lots of updates and rebuilds. If you want to make a camper that will serve in SHTF situations you might be better off with an M109 which has the box on it. All of the A2,s are multifuel I think. When you get to an A3 then its straight diesel and lots of modern equipment that could be hard to maintain in tough situations. The M109 would be my choice unless you want to get a duece tractor or older 5 ton tractor with a semi box van. Advantages here are more living space and the ability to park the van and use the tractor for transportation. If you need to move just hook up and change locations and unhook again. Of course with the trailer you would have to have a power source for electic power unless you really wanted to rough it.

Heavysteven

I think among all the deuces the 1987 M35A2c would be the most popular model. They have a dual brake circuit. I would love to own a M35A3 with winch however my 1971 M35A2 with winch is a great truck.

Things that are a plus winch, hard top, heater, and air assist steering.

5 tons parts are just to big for me....plus cdl, insurance, higher operating costing.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
There were mulit-fuel 5 tons. I had a M52 tractor but it would not pull a greasy string out of a fat cat's azz......IMHO they were underpowered to do what was asked of them.

If you just want one for a toy they are cool....if you want a working truck get a deuce or 800 series five ton.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks