• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbie's M1010 project

Reynolds1

Hew guys. I'm new to the forum but have been watching threads ever since an M1010 fell into my lap a couple of months ago. I happened across a closed bid auction in my home town for a 1985 model with 3800 miles and all of the maintenance records going back 20+ years since the municipality purchase. All of the shocks, bearing, spring packs, both generators, brakes etc. had been replaced or rebuilt in the last five years and the preventative maintenance done once a year regardless of miles, along with indoor storage that left it virtually rust free. Basically, I couldn't pass it up. The back had basically been stripped of military equipment through the years, so no I did not take out any of the gurneys or stretchers to do the work I have done.

So far I have:
24 volt Battery equalizer with 100 amp 12 volt accesory leg
Hoodliner for noise reduction
Sound deadener and carpet in the cab...
Center console
Cup holders
Stereo system
Multipurpose table (folds against wall, acts as counter/desk/dinner table when folded down in truck box, completely removable for use outside)
Latching storage cabinets (x2) that will also act as the base of a single bed
12v mini fridge that can be removed for outside use
Seating for three (w/seatbelts) that converts to a "cozy" bed for 2

Things that are coming:
Gravity feed water storage
propane tank mount
Propane catalytic heater
110 ac window air conditioning to replace motor compressed current unit
Single bed across storage cabinets with removable center section
Under seating storage
Auxillary battery bank charged from the secondary alternator (duvac deleted with equalizer install, just using 1 genny right now and haven't had a single problem)
boxed in Shelving over the single bed

May happen?
Portable composting toilet
Outdoor solar shower with fold down curtain
Solar panels
Dc/ac Inverter

Always looking forward to seeing new ideas from you guys, and thought I'd share the progress I've made so far too.

Attachments

Last edited:

Reynolds1

There is a lot of discussion about the DUVAC delete/12v conversion on here. I chose to go with a commercial service equalizer that I picked up from ebay for $150. it is working perfectly and has all the 12v output I need (100 amps). To me it is the simplest and most cost effective way to fix the inevitable DUVAC issue (mine smoked the day I picked it up).

Reynolds1

It'll be a while before I can take on any further projects on this thing as I have an "extended vacation" to Southeast Asia on the horizon, but I'll be watching for good ideas and dreaming up some of my own for the next few months.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
an M1010 fell into my lap a couple of months ago.
I bump my head on the light in mine all the time but if you don't hang them upside down they won't fall in your lap. (can't change that photo now)

That is some beautiful work. It's tough to get that battery area looking good because it's so busy but you nailed it. Very nice.

BULA

Reynolds1

I bump my head on the light in mine all the time but if you don't hang them upside down they won't fall in your lap. (can't change that photo now)

That is some beautiful work. It's tough to get that battery area looking good because it's so busy but you nailed it. Very nice.

BULA
Thanks I cut my teeth on wiring working on security systems as a young troop and have practiced those skills quite a bit lately building a 12vdc/110vac generator/solar/battery setup in my off grid cabin in northern az. im a cheap bastard, so nothing is ever new or code built, but it works and fairly clean considering most of it started as stuff others considered trash.

Reynolds1

M1010 camper

IMG_0851.jpgIMG_0860.jpgIMG_0852.jpgIMG_0853.jpgIMG_0854.jpgIMG_0856.jpgIMG_0857.jpgIMG_0858.jpgIMG_0859.jpg

Its been a long time since I posted, but my M1010 project is finally complete Just in time for me to get orders to Kuwait for a year. Yay!

Custom feature include:

Rear bench seat with three seatbelts that folds out into a full size bed
single fold down sleeper at front of rear box
TV/DVD combo
Electric rear heater
6000BTU air conditioner
2500 watt industrial inverter (24VDC to 115VAC)
2x 100 amp battery equalizer units/12V accessory power sources
260 watt solar setup on roof
Roof storage
2x 130 amp deep cycle rear batteries
mobile cooking station/fish cleaning station with stainless steel sink
lockable storage
12V refrigerator/cooler with custom thermostat
shore power access
CD player/stereo
custom center console
cup holders!
auxiliary blower unit (ready for front ac install)
awning
tinted windows
search light
DUVAC system delete (24v battery charging system is much simplified!)
cool paint job, with transformer stickers

Last edited by a moderator:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks