• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NHC 250 Cummins Transplant

Dave08

I have searched and searched; many threads on generic engine swaps; couple threads on the NHC 250 but not about swapping it into a deuce. I would like to know if anyone has done this swap to get more power and speed out of their deuce and a half? The reason that I ask is that I have a new NHC 250 ready to go minus some accessories. Any thoughts and has anyone done this before?
Dave08

jasonjc

No it has not been done. It could be done , but the 250 is much longer and heavyer than the LTD465. So you would have to change the sheet metal out with that of a 5-ton. You would need the 5-ton front axle to hold up the wight. This would be a lot of work. All you will get is more HP. You will lose MPG and speed. The 250 tops out at 2100-2200rpms the ldt465 make 2600-2700 rpms. This is where the speed come from.

davidkroberts

your best bet is to go with a Multifuel 5 ton motor. which i believe is the LDS but i may be wrong. PM Gimpyrob, he did the transition on his. I think the major difference is the starter is on the other side.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd really like to see someone try to fit a 250 in a Deuce. Think an A3 looks funny just imagine a Deuce with a long nose........

It won't fit. I one of each sitting next to each other right now and the front of the 250 would be somewhere out past the radiator if you put it in a M35.

Use a pickup truck engine like a Cummins 6BT or an LDS out of a 5-ton.

wsucougarx

Surprised someone hasn't done a behind the cab mounted engine. The bed has plenty of room for some big stuff. Couldn't imagine the nightmare with all the linkages etc.

Capt.Marion

Surprised someone hasn't done a behind the cab mounted engine. The bed has plenty of room for some big stuff. Couldn't imagine the nightmare with all the linkages etc.
Well, there is Jones' Baby HEMTT build, but he kind of fabricated new EVERYTHING for it, anyways.