• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Nice RACK!

edpdx

Just bought this back from the U-Pull IT. Cost $45.00, all steel with rubber coating. It came off a minivan; but needs only mild persuasion with an over sized hammer to lay flat. Question: This seems like an obvious question at that: Should I not plan of securing this to the fiberglass top? Will the torque on the vehicle ream and rip at those holes.

I was thinking about adding a rail piece on either side of the bed- sandwiched between the top of the bed rail and the top. 1/4" steel to build support struts to the rear section of the carrier?

rack.jpg

It attaches with 16 bolts on the two 1 3/4" flat padded rails. Bolts into inserts. Think it needs support or can the fiberglass top cope?

thanks,

Ed

2deuce

I would say it would be ok if you keep it tight, and don't bolt it to the fiberglass, but make a fiberglass sandwich where you attach it. If you do have a problem with the top I have seen free ones on CL in OR. Probably depends on what you plan on putting up there too.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm a fan of nice racks! Both suggestions above are good, use the plates or large washers to make the sandwich and that will distribute the load so you don't punch holes in your roof.

carter262

I am interested in putting on a rack too. How much weight do you think they could support without messing up the top? I want a full size spare tire and high lift jack minimum in mine.

Thanks

carter262

I am interested in putting on a rack too. How much weight do you think they could support without messing up the top? I want a full size spare tire and high lift jack minimum in mine.

Thanks

edpdx

Thanks
Mine has been on since just after this original post date. I have hauled a ninety pound mobiflex crew tent, and 4 Scepter Jerrys of diesel. I left the bolt long on the inside, then cut and hemmed a piece of Heavy Drab Duck to hang between the rearmost 4 bolts. I use it as a catch-all for light weight stuff that I don't want buried or damaged- like TP and hot Dog buns, and arrows in quivers, and a box of Kitchen matches.