• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Nightmare Wiring

dmetalmiki

Well, today I attacked my trailer electrical problem. It is a scandanavian or swedish NATO hydraulic deck lowering unit. I can never fathom out why the trailer sockets on Military machines are fitted with (named) "NATO" sockets. When they seem to work with EEC vehicles..but the same socket on the American vehicles is useless..(how did/do these things work towing in NATO?)

Plug in and side lights work (and markers). Hit the brakes and the YELLOW hazards light up!
Operate turn signals and The brake lights and sidelights flash!!

Aghhhh! so , On the trailer,I pulled all the covers of the wire boxes underside, and all the light covers, then Removed Every single wire at the connectore.

From 16 wires ( cut 12!) I ran the white Code wires (earth convention) To the U.S. PINK! earth lead...and connected all the whites through to the rear light frames.
Blacks went to the right and left turn signals. (through to the rears)

Took the truck socket light green ( side/marker)to trailers Yellow all the way through as the side/marker supply.

Finaly I have satisfactory Lamps for night towing.
(the point of this scenario is that..) In the uk the Turn signals are Yellow. and the Brake lights RED.
So all my American army vehicle do not have standard lighting..and I Usually ADD an additional pair of Yellow flashing indicators as a safety feature. (in case the average motorist can not heed the "red" flashing brake lights. And was informed on more than one occasion this is a Good and Vallid modification.
SO, My wiring modification as above on my trailer (for those that spotted the (Deliberate Error?) Is that: the Rear Brake lights And the Yellow Turn signals now flash together (on the appropriate turn side indicated) on my NATO trailer. OK Safe modification acheived, And results from the fact there is only One Circuit for the stop and turns on American (old) military trucks. ( AND the caboodle only take 4 wires!) Well it gives a long read anyway!.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks