• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NJ M923 Registration and inspection questions

aheilmann68

I am looking to set up to a M923 but have a few questions for the NJ owners, How do you guys have them registered, insured and inspected in NJ. Or what is everyone doing ownership wise with them?

I'm looking to bob a 5 ton so i know i can get it under the 26000 lb mark and air brakes are ok under that, but that's above the 18000lb emission cut off my deuce is in so they need the opacity test. I have my deuce bobber in the same category as a pickup just pay for the additional weight and my normal insurance policy will cover anything with 2 axles as i am told.

Mainly interested in how everyone has them registered with the state and what not regardless if it is bobbed or not. thanks in advanced

Depends on the Mfg. year if you can register it for QQ tags. Mine is registered as a commercial vehicle for non-commercial purposes, insured as a commercial vehicle because of the weight. The insurance company went by serial number/Mfg's weight, not actual weight. If you alter the vehicle (bob'ed), I'd suggest talking to a rep from the ins co and asking them if you can have the truck inspected by a private mechanic/truck shop to get a more accurate quote.

aheilmann68

dogboy: thanks
Turbo:
I know QQ is 20 years, and thanks thats a good idea talking to the ins company. I think mine will cover it, they just told me with the deuce that they will do anything with 2 axles under 26001. what reregistration code or structure is that commercial for non-commercial?

NJ MVC lists it as "Code 15". I researched it prior to going to my local MVC location but I didn't say anything to the lady. She asked me a few questions and I was sure to tell her I was not using this truck for business or "commercial" uses, it was only for "a weekend mud toy". She was VERY helpful.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In ND I think we have it pretty easy my 925A1 is registered as a farm vehicle, it limits me only to driving it within 200 miles of my land and to date that has not been a problem. Since its also a non-commercial I do not have to maintain any logs or go through scales, it costs me 180.00 per year for license and registration.
KK

KenK96

Turbo,

I live near you. Which company did you get your truck insured? You are correct, DMV was easy as a Code 15 and got my tags after they made me get a trace of the SN. Tried all traditional routes for insurance and waiting for Adelphia to call back. Did not want to go too specialty because they only insure for parades and want the truck in a garage.

Turbo,

I live near you. Which company did you get your truck insured? You are correct, DMV was easy as a Code 15 and got my tags after they made me get a trace of the SN. Tried all traditional routes for insurance and waiting for Adelphia to call back. Did not want to go too specialty because they only insure for parades and want the truck in a garage.
I have insurance through Progressive Commercial, expensive but completely covered.
When you're ready, we'll have to take the trucks out. Always fun to drive the woods with multiple military trucks.

KenK96

Turbo,
What type of vehicle did you tell Progressive? I have a quote but they told me they cannot write the policy. My truck is parked at Mick's place now.

KenK96

Porkspylace,

I have tried this route first before contacting someone near me. NJ is a very fickle state when it comes to insurance and most providers will not write a commercial policy for personal use in NJ unless it is for Parades only. I appreciate the link and used that for my research to no avail.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Porkspylace,

I have tried this route first before contacting someone near me. NJ is a very fickle state when it comes to insurance and most providers will not write a commercial policy for personal use in NJ unless it is for Parades only. I appreciate the link and used that for my research to no avail.
Expect this thread to get lock in the near future for the reasons explained in that thread .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks