• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No electrical power.

SheriffSugarwolf

Hey guys I'm in a bit of a jam. So I just went out to start the M1009 and it has no electrical power. Whats wierd is everything was working normal, the glow plugs cycled, all the dash lights, outside lights worked and the blower motor worked as well. But when I went to start, it clicked then completely shut down. No headlights, dash lights, nothing. It wont turn over at all. Also the volt gauge is deader than a door nail. I havent checked the batteries, I'm getting a multimeter now to check them. I checked the fuses and they're all good. The terminals aren't dirty and they are tight. I'm thinking that its not completeing the circut because I've never expereinced a loss of 100% power to everything. Could it be that the starter cable came loose is there another place that would shut everything down like this. It's pretty dark out so I'll be looking tomorrow. Thanks for the time.

tim292stro

What kind of batteries do you have? I've seen this type of failure with Optimas - usually when I'm out of cell range on a lightly/never travelled road...

After you check your batteries, check your fusible links. A starter with a dead short or seized motor will burn those up and show zero power.

SheriffSugarwolf

Don't even get me started with Optima batteries, I've had nothing but trouble with them. The batteries I have are the surplus 6TL. The batteries both show 12.72 and I have ground to the frame and block. The only fusible links I know of are by the battery junction, the 12v junction and plug relay. Are there any others that aren't out in the open so I can check them as well. I'm headed out to look at the links stated above now but I'll keep you guys posted.

tim292stro

I hate to repeat what other say constantly on the forums, but download the Technical manual for the CUCV - there is a wiring diagram in there that shows all of the fusible links (there are more than what you listed).

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Or look in the CUCV Helpful Threads sticky for fusible links. All of them are listed.

And a word of advice given to me many years ago: Never start any electrical troubleshooting unless you know for sure that the batteries are fully charged and load tested.

SheriffSugarwolf

Ok so I've found the one that was causing the issue. It was one of the 16 gauge wires coming off the 12v junction on the firewall. Thank you guys for the help. I used your Fusible Links 101 thread Warthog and the TM you posted for the diagrams. I went ahead and replaced the old links and cleaned all the connections. I have the part numbers for the link wire and the crimpable butt connectors from Napa Auto if someone would like them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks