• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

no fuel to filters

2deuce

I have a Deuce in my driveway that I drove home a few weeks ago. The tank fuel pump was not working so I got a new one thanks to gimpyrobb. I put the new pump in the tank and before I started it I drained the filters. I cracked open the incoming line to the primary filter and it then drained out the plug hole on the bottom. I opened the drains on the secondary filters and only fuel drained out with the vent between those filters open. I closed the bottom drains and left the vent open and got nothing to come out the vent on the secondaries with the tank pump running. Could the injection pump pull fuel through clogged filters that the tank pump can't push? The tank pump is pumping fine. I opened the plug where the fuel line connects to the tank and fuel sprays 3 feet out that plug hole. Is the vent between the secondary filters bleeding air out before the filters? I'm hopeful that I'll have time tomorrow to get back at this. The only thing I can think of is filters are plugged, but I drove it home on the injection pump. Taking off that primary filter is a chore. Am I overlooking something besides filters?

Thanks

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Follow your fuel line from the primary filter, to the secondary filters. It may be crushed under the radiator.

DieselBob

How long did you let the pump run after closing the drains on the filters ? After checking the line DH mentioned above I would take a shot that the primary filter is pretty clogged. They are the hardest to service so usually serviced the least.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yes the IP has a fuel pump that can pull fuel through (partially)plugged filters. The IP pump is a geared pump, MUCH more stout than the in-tank pump. The in-tank pump is only rated at 5-7psi. The IP pump is rated at 60-80psi. It takes a while to fill those filter canisters(it sounded like you drained them) are you sure you waited long enough? If you have not done so yet, I would put new filters in.

welldigger

I would start by unhooking fuel lines from the filters to check fuel flow to them. As stated before those are large canisters to fill up so it can take a minute. Especially if you are filling the primary then secondary fuel filters. The primary is a royal you know what to change. Which is why I went with the full spin on filter conversion kit. A bit spendy but money well spent in my eyes. Now even the primary fuel filter is a snap to change.

2deuce

I'm going to start with the primary filter to see if anything goes through it. With all the volume that came out the plug hole that I opened at the tank when I tested the pump in only a couple of seconds tells me I should have seen fuel quickly at the secondaries. I took the vent completely out of the secondaries to see if it was clogged and ran the pump a minute without a drop. Gimpyrobb, that 60-80psi by the IP is what I was wondering about because I could see all that volume put out by the tank pump and the truck ran fine when parked so it must have been pulling fuel through bad filters. Thanks guys for your advice.

Looking at your original post if the primary filter is stopped up the 5 to 7 psi may not be strong enough to bypass the filter where as the 60 psi can easily do this. Have you changed your filters (all three) and cleaned out the bowls?

2deuce

So far I have only removed the primary filter. There were no washers in it to hold the spring in place so the filter was not filtering anything. It was acting like a trap. I have read this in other posts and I'm wondering if this isn't done on purpose because the primary filter is hard to change and then the secondary filter becomes primary. I want to find some washers to fit so the primary becomes a filter again.

2deuce

I took off the secondary and final filters, the final was the worst and probably plugged. I have looked and it seems that the secondary and final filters are the same one. This doesn't make any sense to me. Any particles that pass through the secondary will pass through both. The final should never catch anything, that what my logic is telling me. So what is the benefit of the final filter?

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
The primary protects the main gear fuel pump
The main gear fuel pump outlet is to the secondaries filters which
outlet to and do protect the FDC and HH and injectors .
The secondaries also route excess fuel back to the fuel tank.

This seems to me like a common problem that
* drive the new to you truck home
* mess with it
* then she don't run anymore

If you actually have good fuel pressure from the lift in-tank pump then you have it made.
Divide and conquer, do one thing at a time.
My fuel line is squashed under the radiator, seems common but truck runs just fine.
see section II TM92320-361-20P fiqure 25

2deuce

Frank, The truck ran good enough to get it home, but it does have a few problems. Learning that the gear pump can pull 60 to 80 lbs tells me why it did run. After I get the truck running again I need to replace the brake booster. It was interesting to say the least driving it 55 miles home with the booster frozen up. The fuel line under the radiator is ok and not flattened. I remove that line when I took the primary off, I think it is easier that way. I have messed things up before but this time I haven't touched anything except the tank pump. With those filters clogged that probably cooked the old tank pump. I cut that motor in half and it had been hot in the past. Funny thing was it would still run (noisily) if it was on it's side.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
put a gauge in the 1/8" hole it is 1/8" NPT and cheap.
If it ain't broke don't fix it.
All I meant to say was all that happened to me.
I had a 13,000 pound driveway ornament for a week when all I did was change her filters.
Would not run again until I renewed the lift pump because I let air into the system.
But I thought it was the same as a chevy, oops.

I got the help I needed right here at SS.
Just watch out for the verbose old farts like me in here.

remember to go to the bottom of any post and see "similiar threads".
That is one of the many ways to get around in here.

2deuce

I had a deuce that I drove for over 5 years and the tank lift pump never did work. Went everywhere with that truck and had it over 70mph a few times, never changed filters either. I fixed the pump before I sold it,.... blown fuse.
Made it start a lot quicker. I don't always fix it even if it's broke.

welldigger

Frank, The truck ran good enough to get it home, but it does have a few problems. Learning that the gear pump can pull 60 to 80 lbs tells me why it did run. After I get the truck running again I need to replace the brake booster. It was interesting to say the least driving it 55 miles home with the booster frozen up. The fuel line under the radiator is ok and not flattened. I remove that line when I took the primary off, I think it is easier that way. I have messed things up before but this time I haven't touched anything except the tank pump. With those filters clogged that probably cooked the old tank pump. I cut that motor in half and it had been hot in the past. Funny thing was it would still run (noisily) if it was on it's side.
Before you replace your brake booster most of the time you can rebuild them for a fraction of the cost. My trucks brake booster was toast when I bought it but this was due to being full of water. Do you know which style of air-pak your truck has? If you have the older/long style there is a wealth of information on rebuilding them. If you have the newer/short style then there isn't much info on them however they are rebuildable and I have tore one down. Even though it as toast I still was curious. The rebuild kits can be harder to find but they are out there.

2deuce

I pulled a plug on the back and it looked full of rust and dirt. When I get it off I'll see what the inside is really like. I bought a used booster from someone parting out a truck. Hope it works.

2deuce

I finally got all the fuel filters changed between rainstorms and the truck runs fine. Because of the brake problem I wasn't able to test the top speed, but when I was driving it home pulling a M105 with a deuce bed strapped to it, it would not rev over 2100 in any gear. I was like it was governed at 2100. I'm hoping that problem was related to clogged filters. Thanks to all for your input and advice.