• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

no fuel to injectors

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
There have been several threads on the hydraulic head.

Since you've changed the head, I'll summarize. Did you open the bleeders on the filters, turn on the in tank pump, and purge the air from the system? Does the shut off lever move completely, and freely? Is the head properly timed (it is easy to be 180 degrees out)?

Pull the massive plug from the center of the hydraulic head. If you are alone, prop a soft wood stick up in it and turn the engine over - through the gap between hood and cowl you should be able to tell if stick bobs up and down as engine cranks. (obviously, if you have a helper, you can simply watch.) If its not bobbing, its not pumping.

if that is the case remove the cutoff cover from the side of the IP. Take care not to lose the gasket. Two safety-wired screws hold the retainer that holds the shut off lever in place. The lever should move freely. If not, remove safety wires, remove lever, clean and lube. Beware, there is a tiny metal tab on the end that is not retained by anything. You do not want to lose this (nor damage it). Make sure all these parts move freely and reassemble.

What caused you to replace the hydraulic head? BTW, I've had one truck where the supply pump on the side of IP failed. The truck would run if you started it on ether, but would never start if you just used the starter motor.

HTH,
David Doyle

Dieselsmoke

Re: RE: no fuel to injectors

DDoyle said:
remove the cutoff cover from the side of the IP. Take care not to lose the gasket. Two safety-wired screws hold the retainer that holds the shut off lever in place. The lever should move freely. If not, remove safety wires, remove lever, clean and lube. Beware, there is a tiny metal tab on the end that is not retained by anything. You do not want to lose this (nor damage it). Make sure all these parts move freely and reassemble.
This simple reason is how I got my M109A3 for a song, actually made money from buying it! The shaft on the fuel cutoff was binding. After a second in the drill press with some steel wool polising it up, it's worked flawlessly since 8)

Armada

RE: Re: RE: no fuel to injectors

Pull the massive plug from the center of the hydraulic head.
David, or anybody familier with the IP, is there a seal, or copper washer, or something under the large plug in the center of the hydraulic head? I was looking mine over today and I have fuel seeping from that center plug. I cleaned and dried everything and there is no doubt that that is where fuel is coming from. I checked the manual and it doesn't say much about it. I tried to tighten it thinking it might be a little loose, but it would not budge. I didn't try backing it out as I wasn't sure of what might come out with it. The injector pumps are uncharted waters for me. :)
Would it be ok to take the plug out and inspect it, without affecting anything else, like springs and plunger shooting out? I'm thinking maybe some thread tape would help seal it. Unless there is an o-ring or washer to seal it. What are your thoughts?
THANKS!!
Paul

Jones

RE: Re: RE: no fuel to injectors

Generally, anything with any kind of pressure behind it has a copper washer for a seal/gasket. When you get the plug out you should be able to tell by how it is machined if it was made to use a copper gasket or o-ring.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
right, no gasket. and never use any kind of thread sealing stuff anywhere on the injection system, even on supply lines, especially tape, you could ruin a lot of other parts. mill1970, did you replace with new or known good? just a little wear on parts will keep it from running.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
I see that your question has already been answered. To recap what others have said - never use thread sealing tape on any type of fuel system. The tolerences are far too tight - and a sliver of tape - which will happen as parts are joined, will separate and plug/jam something.

Regards,
David

Armada

Thanks for the replies guys. How do I keep the plug from seeping fuel then? A drop of rtv towards the head of the bolt? I don't dare go any tighter with it.
What about return lines? No thread sealer on return lines either?
Paul

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Armada said:
Thanks for the replies guys. How do I keep the plug from seeping fuel then? A drop of rtv towards the head of the bolt? I don't dare go any tighter with it.
What about return lines? No thread sealer on return lines either?
Paul
Take it out, clean all surfaces and reinstall and tighten to 50 to 55 ft-lb.
All the lines should have compression fittings and for plastic/nylon tighten firmly, that's all.
When installing new plastic lines, make sure the the tubing entry into the fitting is straight or else the ferrule will get misaligned and cause a leak. Inserts are good see below.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks