• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No keys? 915 recovery

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
So I am supposed to recover a 915 from DSCC Columbus Ohio. The site rep doesn't think the truck has keys. Will a lift tow work ok? Do I need to go up and remove a driveshaft or two? Are keys hard to get?

gimpyrobb

Ron might have a key headed this way. I was thinking I would grab your 108 this weekend to tow it home with!

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I gotta put oil filters on it tonight, and it should be done.... I don't recommend towing a M915 with it!

Should I go get my medical card updated so my CDL is good to go?

gimpyrobb

I have a member looking it over for me this week so I will know what is needed on Tues. Make sure the insurance is up to date too! 8)

Westech

CPL
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-2][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-2] 1984 AM General M915A1 6x4 Truck Tractor. Powered by a Cummins NTC-400 6cylinder diesel engine, Allison GT-754 CRD TC-498 5 speed automatic transmission, 4-12v batteries, 50000 GVW. Odometer reads 110042. Vin# 1UTSH668XES00****. Truck has been started. Running condition unknown. Truck has key. Buyer load, step deck trailer w/winch, roll-off trailer, towing service or may be driven off base (truck should be inspected by buyer for road worthiness before driving off base). Smoke stake removal (installation if driving off base) for legal height clearance is buyers responsibility. Preview and removal by appointment only with 24hr min notice.[/SIZE][/FONT]

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a readily available recplacement ignition switch the M915A1.

I'll try to locate the thread on that for you.

JH1

I don't recommend that tow. The M915 (you said 915, not 915A1) weighs a hair more than your M108. You will have to remove the driveline or travel 2mph or less. I have a 915 and an M108. Due to lack of power, you won't be going very fast, at any rate. I recovered my 915 by using a commercial tow truck, lifting the front of the 915 instead of the rear, because the forks for the wheel lift wouldn't fit around the rear axle. If you do tow it on the ground, at least you can use the air input lines on the front of the 915 to operate the 915 brakes. Keep in touch. We can share notes on these beasts.

Attachments

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Andy, could you post a picture of your key?

I think I got one from you a while back, and I have a bunch of keys on a ring and I can not identify my M915 key(on that ring of keys).

I think this is it.

Attachments

Last edited:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hot wire it. All a keyed switch is, is a way to secure an electrical connection between the battery and the starter. Find the wires behind the panel that go to the keyed switch, and connect. Easy.

From wikipedia:

"Hot-wiring generally involves connecting the two wires which complete the circuit when the key is in the "on" position (turning on the fuel pump and other necessary components), then touching the wire that connects to the starter. The specific method of hot-wiring a vehicle is dependent on the particular vehicle's electrical ignition system. Remote start units access the same wires as conventional ignition methods. Listings of wire colors and locations and ignition system schematics may sometimes be found in Internet databases.

Older vehicles, especially ones made before 1986, which have a carbureted engine and a single ignition coil and distributor, can be hot-wired from the engine bay. Using standard lock picking to start a car is now usually ineffective, since most cars now use electronic chip or transponder verification.

Thieves lacking the basic mechanical skills and knowledge of automotive electrical systems sometimes simply use physical force to bypass the ignition lock, smashing the key mechanism to reveal the rotation switch, which is operated by the key's tumbler. In most cases this involves damage to the wiring in the steering column and thus windshield wipers are often jammed on."

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey, now that there is a wiki on hotwiring, none of our vehicles are safe.

OH NO! :doghead:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks