• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No longer Stuck in Tennessee

Glides

Howdy.

Have a 96 lmtv ambo box rv. Pulling in yesterday, the air purged from the brake system. It purged from a threaded hole behind the grille. When I capped that, the air will escape from behind the brake pedal.
I can push the brake pedal down halfway and the air will stop escaping and the system will pump up but you cannot release the parking brakes.

Any help would be appreciated. Have a mobile mechanic here

Thanks.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
That is just a bulkhead fitting. Running a connection line from the opposite side input to the delivery on the inside of the frame is simple enough and common DOT or JIC parts.

Ronmar

That port behind the grill is where the treaddle valve and the park/trailer control valves vent to when they release air. It needs to remain open. If you are venting air continuously from that vent port, one of those 3 valves has failed. From your description It sounds as if you may have a failed treadle/pedal valve...

EDIT: It is the easiest valve to test for. It’s vent line comes off the REARWARD FACING(toward drivers seat) side of the valve and runs around under the center dash to that vent port. Disconnect that line at the treadle. If the air is venting from the treadle continuously, then thats your problem. It should only vent air when you release the pedal.

if the air isn’t coming from the treadle then it is one of the two hand valves in the center dash...

Last edited:

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Read this thread: Air brake info and troubleshooting, post #7. I can't cut and paste at the moment. That exact failure is described.

Where are you?.

coachgeo

Read this thread: Air brake info and troubleshooting, post #7. I can't cut and paste at the moment. That exact failure is described.

Where are you?.

Glides

Well, thanks for all the information. It seems to be the brake pedal. Replaced the service valve and the trailer valve was fine. Pulled the pedal valve apart but couldn't get parts. So, it's going on a trailer in the early am and being dropped at my brother's shop. Alex Wilson helped me out a ton by phone.

Thanks for all the replies.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Well, thanks for all the information. It seems to be the brake pedal. Replaced the service valve and the trailer valve was fine. Pulled the pedal valve apart but couldn't get parts. So, it's going on a trailer in the early am and being dropped at my brother's shop. Alex Wilson helped me out a ton by phone.

Thanks for all the replies.
Where in TN are you?

We have several parts trucks between Knoxville and Nashville along 40. And a few in Memphis

Glides

Where in TN are you?

We have several parts trucks between Knoxville and Nashville along 40. And a few in Memphis
I'm in Alcoa. It's in the process of being loaded on a trailer right now and heading back to GA. Learned some lessons today.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks