• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No Mo Multi???

SasquatchSanta

While installing spin-on filters on the new LDS-1A engine I noticed a yellow sticker on the side of an oil filter canisters that says "only" diesel fuel should be used. It says the FDC has been bypassed to prevent the possibility oil being contaminated with fuel.

The engine was new in 85 and was rebuilt in 88. Has anyone heard of this before?

I suppose if I elect to burn a blend of used motor oil next summer that I'll have to reconnect the FDC and in doing so I will also have to change the settings on the pump???

Any insight/opinions

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No worries Ernie, it's still a multifuel, it just can't compensate for the density of the fuel. The density compensator actually works against WVO.

Jones

Some of the bio-diesel scientists on the site could better answer to the specifics but IMHO; something else to consider is that the FDC was intended for use as a component of a system that used a hydrocarbon-based fuel-- though of varying densities (i.e. #2 diesel, mogas, JPs, etc.) Biodiesel blends and WVOs may be the same density but have different flash points and available BTUs than those of a similar 'weight'/density petroleum product.

FreightTrain

Banned
All the FDC does is change the rate the fuel is ingested.Like an automatic fuel screw.Changes the fuel setting per the thickness of the fuel.Diesel is thicker than gasoline so the FDC changes how much it gets.The multifuel part is the pistons and injectors.You will notice more of a HP change without the FDC with different fuels but that is it but the HP differences will be minimal unless you run some odd ball fuel like ATF or Crude oil....

wdbtchr

For what it's worth my FDC was bypassed when I got my M51A2 and I have been running waste motor oil up to 50% since I got the truck. I do filter the oil before I put it in with a 10 micron filter and store it in a portable tank till I need fuel. No problems yet, seems to have more power with the oil mix than straight diesel.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks