• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No Start - Oil Pressure - 802a

Toolslinger

I'll preface this with the fact I haven't looked in the TM's yet. I'll likely be doing that rather than twiddling my thumbs at work tomorrow. No emergency, so no urgent need.

I went out to start the 802a today. Hasn't run in a while, so I thought I'd put some fuel additives, and winter stabilizer in it since the weather is beginning to be less nice.

Checked the fluids, batteries, etc. All seemed well. Hit Prime/Run, and the pump was ticking over fine. Went to Start, and I got 1 rotation, and it kicked out. Oil Pressure light was on, pump was off. Reset, and same deal.

I did try the dead crank switch, and the unit sounds fine turning over. I took a quick look in the control box, and all seems ok in terms of no smoke/sparks/fire, and no mouse evidence, but that's as far as I went.

I'll be away from it for several days. So I have plenty of time to read the TM, but I can't test/try anything until I get back here with some time for it. It's also kinda a hard condition to hit a tight search for here. If this sounds like something you've seen commonly, I'd be happy with a pointer to a thread, or the first thing you'd check. I really don't have enough time on this machine to have any feeling for where to start. (other than ordering another can of DeOxit, 'cause I just killed mine on another machine today)

Ray70

First thing that comes to my mind is weak batteries, may sound odd to you, but I've seen similar results before when the batteries are weak and the cranking relay doesn't receive quite enough power to stay closed because the starter is sucking up all available amperage, resulting in the relay opening and starter disconnecting. Since the remaining controls still have power the fault indicator may get confused and throw on the oil pressure light.

Toolslinger

Ok, I'll add that to the list. I've got a Noco in there, and it claimed the batteries were fine/full, but what a charger sees, and what a batt can output are sometimes not the same thing. It did sound happy kicking over on the dead crank though.

Guyfang

Staff member
Well, the LOP is showing you what it sees. If the engine will not start, you have no oil pressure. So Low Oil Pressure may not be your problem. Disconnect the fault indicator, and try and start the set. What happens? Do not run it long. Just long enough to see if it starts.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My money is on one bad battery. Might show good on voltage but it may not be making current.

Stick a volt meter on each one then hit preheat. See if they hold voltage with the heaters going. If one of the batteries has a problem it will fall flat under load.

Reactions: 98G