• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Noise in steering.

MitchG

I have a noise in the front end/steering that I need some help with. I hear it usually when I am just getting started and am turning it at low speed in the yard. I hear a relatively loud clunk in the front end. It kinda reminds me of an old Jeep I have that the PO had put rear shackles on the front springs and when I would turn the springs would slide and hit the sides of the shackles. I did a search and the posts I found have me leaning towards the king pin bushings. I don't have any steering wobble or tracking issues and don't hear the noise when i am turning at speed. I also don't have any fluid leaking at the knuckle. Just was wondering where the most prudent place to start checking things out would be? I was kinda trying to avoid tearing into anything unneccessarily. Oh yeah one of the posts mentioned one tire leaning out more than the other, it seems like I have one leaning out as well. It may just be the way I'm looking at it, but I will measure and check for sure.

avengeusa

if you have a tire leaning, check the thing out, kingpins....

it is a big heavy truck, check it all out, everything, you can never be too safe, you could also have a bearing issue.....

FormerNewMVGuy

Might be the rear springs sliding back and forth in the spring perch on the axle, I hear mine at slow sharp turns! There is alot of movement inthe rear tandems during sharp turns.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Noise in steering.

NewMVGuy said:
Might be the rear springs sliding back and forth in the spring perch on the axle, I hear mine at slow sharp turns! There is alot of movement inthe rear tandems during sharp turns.
:ditto: The clunk from the rear can FEEL like it is from the front sometimes. I feel it in the pedals while making slow, sharp turns in fwd or rev.

OD_Coyote

Re: RE: Noise in steering.

WillWagner said:
NewMVGuy said:
:ditto: The clunk from the rear can FEEL like it is from the front sometimes.

:ditto: :ditto:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks