• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Noise upfront / Gas Pedal Vibration

pbrstreetgang

I replaced my Brake Power / Hydro Booster back around the first part of the year and I am now having an issue that I think is related.

Sometimes when I am driving my truck I get a secondary vibration from what seems like the driver's side of the firewall, right where the booster is. When this happens it sounds like a sump pumb running and there is a vibration in the gas pedal.

The guy down at the local auto repair place says in all his wisdom that my dash is rattling and that it is it. But I am sure that it is something else.

When the truck is idling it happens and when I put my foot on the accelerator and give it just a little gas it will stop it.

I think it is somehow tied to the power steering pump/booster since it is a secondary engine related vibration and these run off of the engine's power. When I finished my switch out I had two small rubber O Rings left and I didn't know where they went. Could this be a vacuume problem? Booster not properly seated / sealed?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like the typical, air-filter housing vibration. Try tightening it or, just open the hood while it's idling and touch the air-filter housing with your hand.

pidgeon

Check the fan clutch too. That's one of the symptoms I've noticed. I just shook it off as diesel rumble, but I'm fairly sure when I replace the fan clutch that will go away.

pbrstreetgang

So no one thinks that it could be related to the booster? I checked the airfilter housing as I had just replaced the nuts with wingnuts so I thought maybe that could be it. Not so.

Fan Clutch sounds possible, but it is really annoying. It quits when the truck changes over the a lower idle

southdave

have you tried moving the key to the off position?

sorry I cant help myself
Btw check the tranny fuild, had ford that would vibrate when in park ,and would do the same turn out it be low on the juice
It might have cause your A/F to come lose ect..

Last edited:

raiburn

Southdave might be right, but just in case that dosen't work,
you should try inserting your index fingers in your ears, and see if you can still hear it. The noise should stop almost immediatly.

kenny

Mine just started to vibrate alot more. I think it is the motor mounts. It started as the steel fuel tank gaurd started to vibrate and then the drive shaft started to also about a week later.I am just going to change the engine mounts because they are from 1985 and I am sure they are bad.I have checked every thing else already and they are the only thing left

Last edited: