• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Non-turbo Deuce...good or bad??

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there anything more desireable about a non-turbo deuce? I know they are not as common but I was just curious if there is anything people actually like better about them.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Much quieter and less skeeters in the area when running. Mine have always ran real nice.

emr

no mufler on the one i had, they are usually a little faster the non turbo injection pump has a different part # just because the fuel is adjusted a little higher, when the turbos went on it was to kill the smoke ONLY and the fuel was a little lowered also, NOW there are many out there that may have had the turbo put on and the old injection pump left alone like i did on mine and she is a runner, and someone in the past may have juiced up the timing on existing turbos , its been done here at the armory in the past, so dont be surprised to find many that are runners, but thats the basic scoop, Mine was like following a forest fire, when i started it with the turbo on it i was totaly amazed, no smoke, had to see the before and after to belive it, even though i already new it, just amazing...so smoke is really the only difference.and maybe a little more fuel...Randy

LanceRobson

Normally aspirated Deuces often start a little easier in cold weather because there's it doesn't have the cold turbo acting as an exhaust obstruction. They crank a little faster.

Two buddies and I have a line-up of Deuces in one of the steel buildings here on the farm during the winter. When I open the doors and start them up the NA trucks start with half to two thirds of the cranking need to fire a turbo truck.

Jakob

My NA truck is pretty fast, but like Coyote said, it takes a little bit more to get them to that speed. I can easily cruise from Louisville to St Louis at 50-55mph (I try to keep it just over 50mph). However, getting up to that speed takes a little while.

FreightTrain

Banned
I want another Non-turbo deuce so I can play with the fuel and do my part for global warming.You can run higher EGTs with a Non-turbo than a Turbo cause the pistons will get some cooling from the incomming air and fuel blast while the turbo will get a constant torching of heat.Maybe that is a good reason to buy another truck!Deturbo it....hee hee hee.With modified turbo straight pipe(hey,if it ain't loud then what's the point?).

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've had a few non-turbo deuces. Some were dogs...some were strong runners. I think it depends upon the engine. I personally don't mind them, but some people don't like them because of the lack of the turbo whistle.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
My 1970 M35A2 w/w was a NA truck. It ran like a raped ape. The smoke plume was a plus too. It ran 55-60 mph from Memphis, TN to Charleston, WV without missing a beat. The WV mountains slowed it down a bit, but not much. I miss that truck.

non turbo M35

My first M35 was a non-turbo so I'm kind of partial to these. Simplicity at it's finest. As someone stated these do start well in cold weather. I could get my old N/A M35 to start un-assisted (no ether/block heater) at 10 degrees no problem.

I also have a non-turbo M35 for sale. This truck runs VERY strong and holds 60psi of oil pressure at full operating temp at road speed. Truck holds the same speeds going through the hills near LaCrosse,WI as the last D turboed M35 I drove on that stretch. Electric windshield wipers, new top, fresh CARC paint. This truck is parade ready. PM me if interested.

Andy

Attachments

Jakob

RE: Re: RE: Non-turbo Deuce...good or bad??

A guy I work with is looking at getting a Deuce, I'll turn him on to these. He'd prefer to buy from someone and have a truck that's road capable rather than buying from GL.