• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Northern Illinois "get together"

50shooter

The former Savanna Army Depot may be having a MV get together in the future. Are there any members that would like to participate? It is in the very early planning stages but the depot was closed as part of the BRAC. It is located literally on the banks of the Mississippi and is a beautful place. It is like walking into a "ghost base" The old theatre, bowling alley, pool, fire house, officers club, you name it it is still there only old and run down.

Please respond if you even think you could make it if the timing worked for you schedule.

Located approx 25 miles south of the WI line near Savanna, Galena, Hanover.

Thanks
Jason

50shooter

The more the better. I'd like to see the Texas guys or the Florida ones and the Arizona ones but I figured most MV owners don't travel too far unless it is a full blown rally like Aberdeen.

Keep responding to this thread and once the museum has the details and such I'll spread the word.

Thanks guys.

Last edited:

6x6guy

Do you have any tentative dates as yet, I could check with the local characters to see who would be willing to attend depending on individual schedules.

50shooter

Last I heard they were still hoping for late summer or early fall. I'll try to get more details and advise.

Thanks

skinnedknuckles

Count me in. I used to drive a combine in the fields across the tracks from the old depot, it would be neat to see what the old place looks like now.
Paul in Janesville, Wi.
nort of da border
'45 CJ2a
'46 bantam btc3
'52 m37
'55 CJ5
'61 m37
'71 m35a2 6x wo/w
'71 m35a2 4x w/w

6x6guy

Dates to stay away from well it least myself and a couple of friends will be attending the following events Aug 7,8 & 9 Iola show and Oct 9,10 & 11 Knob creek.

6x6guy

Just checking in, I got back from Iola show the other day, and was wondering if you guys had picked a date yet for the camp outing, so I can contact the local members in my area
about the event- thanks john.

50shooter

Sorry I haven't updated this but there hasn't been any more progress made to update about...until now. In this weeks paper they said the Civil War camp will be 10/10/09 and the guy that approached me said it was going to be on or around the Civil War camp. You can tentatively plan that w/e and I will try to find someone else involved and see if that is still their intent. Kind of strange to have a MV display at a Civil War deal but I'm not in charge.

How many of us have thought about going back in time w/a M-60, M-16 and a deuce to fight a few historical Revolutionary or Civil War battles with?

chgofiveo

Hello Hello Hello,
I was wondering if there was any new news about this get together...The time is getting close...Hope this is still going to happen...I will give me a chance to drive my truck somewhere :-D

50shooter

I am going to find someone in charge and get details. I talked to a guy who thought it would be more or less just having a MV assembly area and park trucks there. No details on facilities, camp sites etc. This appears to be a fairly low budget affair that is not well publicized so PLEASE don't get your hopes up and drive across country thinking it is an Aberdeen or something. There could well end up being 5 trucks parked on a corner of the parking lot and that would be the extent.

My lack of information from organizers is starting to take the fun factor out of it.

Check back in the next couple of days.

Thanks
Jason

6x6guy

Well it wouldn't be the first time a couple of members got together in a parking lot nor do I think it would be the last time, at least personally for me. :-D

50shooter

I talked to the man in charge. They want as many trucks as they can get. The dates are Oct 9, 10, 11. The Civil War reinactment is the 10th and 11th. We are allowed to show up the same day they do on the 9th.

They want to do a photo shoot in the old Army area that is not open to the public yet. The Army has given them permission to do this. We need trucks of all shapes and sizes. The idea is to back up to some docks or igloos, park by baracks and the old bowling alley and things like that.

They will open up the back road and let us convoy back to the rear area of the depot which is 13 mles long or so.

There will be no off roading area available at this time.

They will provide us a parking area, camping area, portable toilet somewhat close, water and can secure a truck if someone requires that.

They have offered to feed our guys Saturday night with the Civil War guys.

They are having a dance Sat. evening where you can dress in Civil War era stuff.

For wives and kids, historic Galena is only 25 minutes away. This is a very nice historic town and lots of nice shops, eating places, General Grants home, museums, parks, winery, CIGAR STORE etc.

If those of you who have already expressed interest wouldn't mind, please spread the word to all your contacts. Not sure how far some guys are will to travel but it should be fun if we get a dozen or so to show. The fall leaves in this part of IL are awesome. They should be pretty that w/e so it could be a family affair real easy. He said if it works out well, we could expand it next year.

Thanks
Jason