• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Not happy with the new purchase so far.

martin

CUCV

Hi
I had a CUCV a while back and I was concerned to note the one being talked about here. 'The starter wouldn't catch'.
My starter motor fell off!!!
The silly little bracket on the end had worked loose and this had allowed the whole motor to move.This resulted in one of the large front bolts falling out and the other sheering off.
Major job.
Suggest these are checked ASAP.
Martin

IRWFO

RE: CUCV

Well just heard from my friend. The internals of the starter are shot. They want about $160 to rebuild it. He is going to call Alfa & see what they are going to do for him. Updates to follow.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Re: RE: Re: RE: Not happy with the new purchase so far.

Recovry4x4 said:
Chris, you thinking of Jim Henry in Albemarle?
Yep, you got it Kenny. Thanks. I don't anything more about him than what he advertises.

carguy455

""He is going to call Alfa & see what they are going to do for him.""

Sounds like they have already "done" him..... :roll:

I would be totally BS if that was me.... :evil:

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, he should get on the phone with Tom and demand that he make this right. Tell Tom that it should be transported at Alfa's expense back and fix it, give him a new one or money back. Tom is a registered dealer in the state of Wis. If he misrepresented the truck, your friend has a very strong position with the Attorney General in Wis. Most states come down hard on used car dealers.

On a happier note, my alfa M1028A1 took 1 st place at Papago in the Post War 1 1/4 Ton Class this past weekend. It was judged by an MVPA Judge that is a member of our club. Competition was stiff as there were many VEERRRRY nice CUCV's at the show.

I love my CUCV. Someone needs to impress upon Tom that we are all now paying very close attention to his work. There will allways be buyers for his trucks, just maybe not as many Steel Soldiers members.

A couple pictures of our trucks at the show. Theresa and I were so busy working, I didn't get a chance to get out and get pics.

Attachments

AJMBLAZER

I have a M1008 that I purchased from Alfa in October. This situation sounds similar but my issues aren't so dramatic.

The door seals are so-so and the passenger side down right leaks...so much for having been replaced.

The "new rockers" apparently entailed cutting off the old rockers and welding new skins on...when you crawl under the truck you see rusty holes...not a big problem as I was wanting to put some rocker sliders/steps on anyways but annoying none-the-less...

Both doors need new hinges.

The wipers are goofy as they always work but shut off as soon as you shut them off. In other words I have to time it just right so that they are in the down position when I flick them off.

It leaks a little but not bad. About what you'd expect for a 20 year old truck and I'm thinking the injector pump is a bit worn as it smokes quite a bit on start up but doesn't smoke abnormally when warm and going down the road.

My tires also need rebalancing...but then again I doubt most shops know how to balance 36x12.5-16.5 bias plies. I've got some Innovative Balancing beads waiting for the tires.

Honestly, I was in a hurry and didn't take my time looking at the truck with him. It starts up on the first or second try every time (second only when it's cold out...haven't tried in a few weeks though with these below freezing temps), drove me 400 miles home across the UP of Michigan immediately, and is a 50,000 mile 1 ton truck that around here would EASILY fetch more than what I paid for it.

Am I happy with the truck? Yes and no. Yes because it's just about exactly what I always wanted in an old Chevy. I like beef and low options...gimme a radio and a cig lighter, a couple inches of lift of front to keep the tires off the fenders, and I'm about set. Oh, and a 2" hitch.
The issues it has are kind of disappointing because the ads and the sales pitch had me expecting a perfect truck. However here in Michigan what I paid for it wouldn't have gotten me as solid of a truck as I got. It would have gotten me someone's restored vehicle with hidden issues, twice or more mileage, and not as beefy of components. I'm going to fix the issues, build it up a little, take care of it, and enjoy it. Buyer beware.
Besides, now I don't feel bad about messing with it because it isn't pristine.

Do I recommend him? No. I have a friend who has a fondness for old Dodges and he saw those M880's...I basically told him to look elsewhere. If I was to ever look for another CUCV I wouldn't go to Alfa first. If I did it would literally have to be PERFECT and at least up to his description for me to buy it. I'd make sure I had a return plane ticket and demand a ride back to the airport if it wasn't up to snuff...then again I'd look elsewhere first.
I was recently offered a decent shape M1009 for a little below $4000. All I would have had to do was go to NJ and bring it back. The wife wants a cusher ride unfortunately... In some places these are rare and in others people have 5 of them. Ask around.

ONTOS66

Wow, Really sorry to hear about your problems with Alpha. His trucks always look great on the web, and sound good in his descriptions. I've had my eye on the shelter carrier, but now would be very hesitant, especially for his prices.

IRWFO

Just a quick update on the Blazer. Alfa did send a brand new starter. My friend did tell me that Tom made it clear that the truck was sold as is but he was sending the starter because it went bad in less then a week. He also said the batteries were new. My buddy is bringing it down to my shop Wed. (it's just to cold this week to work outside) so we get under it & see what we have to do to it. It is running & on the road now. My friend put on new tires & they were balanced but he said the truck still has a vibration while going down the road. I'm sure I'm going to find a bad U-Joint or shaft. More to follow.