• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Now how did this happen???

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The humor is in people complaining that someone "drove the price up" and didn't win the truck. They didn't "drive the price up". They bid it up to what they were willing to pay. The other funny thing is that people seem to think somebody does not have the right to bid on a bunch of trucks. I am free to bid as much as I want on as many trucks as I like and still not win any of them.

As for my comments, they're pretty self-explanatory. But, as an example: If I see a decent deuce at $700, I'm going to bid. I'm not going to let it go that cheap, because I can justify buying it for more than that. If it's at $1700, I might not bid.

dm22630

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: How do you investigate this???

EdMontana said:
Do you care to explain your first paragraph? I for one not laughing or see any humor in the above posts..... what is too cheap for you? are you just scrapping the trucks for steel?

I am sure you are not buying and paying more than what they worth for and if you actually WIN and PAY for your TWENTY trucks, than all you final bidding " at end" is worth and that's all what GL cares for.

So, how many trucks do you have by now? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I agree with CUCVFAN.....I bid on a lot of trucks also. I dont purposely drive up prices just to do it, whatever trucks I bid on...I will buy if I win. If you remember last month...I bought 10 trucks in one sale. I have bought more since. I bid on 40 different ones though. I was prepared to buy all 40 before I started bidding. I set limits for what they are worth to me & stop bidding once they reach that amount.

Something to keep in mind when you are bidding though...the cost of the truck IS a lot higher by the time it gets to your house, than what your high bid is.

Here is an example (for those of you who havent bought anything yet)

$1000 - winning bid (CHEAP deuce)
$100 - GL buyers premium
$60 - Sales tax (varies by state)
$500 - Shipping costs (this only goes UP UP UP....bid on things NEARBY!!)
$200 - Title from a title service (assuming you dont want to wait for months for a SF-97)
$200 - DMV fees for tags/title/registration
--------
$2160 - Total cost

*** keep in mind that you need to add on gas money/your time if you went to preview it before bidding ****

dm22630

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: How do you investigate this???

Also....the recent trend of everyone "bidding early" when trucks are cheap, just so they can see the final price IS DEFINITELY DRIVING PRICES UP. Instead of having 5-6 people that actually can and will buy it, they have people bidding just so they will be on their bidlist. So, if you are looking at your bidlist & see that a truck you bid $50.00 on is about to sell for $800....you are WAY more likely to bid than if it is not on your outbid list.

I think that the ones doing this are helping GL make more money & concreting the fact that the close prices will not be shown in the future to non-bidders. 2cents

FreightTrain

Banned

I know for a fact that one person(on here!Local!) flat told me if I bid on a truck(well,trucks) he wanted that he would just bid it up so high that I couldn't get it.Told me this the opening day of the auction meaning he planned on running it up high enough I wouldn't bid but low enough someone else would out bid him.....

Bozor1000

I know that GSA will extend the auction if there looks like there is action still going on with that current bid. I work for VA Hospital in Long Beach in the Materiels Management Section (HOSPITAL SUPPLY) and I have seen them extend our items that we have going through the auction on that day. They have the right to do it. Just because there is a closing time doesn't mean that it automatically closes.

CGarbee

The fifteen minute rule on GL, and the ten minute rule on GSA just mimic a live auction... You know, the "Going, Going, Gone" that you get when we all physically go to an auction where we have an auctioneer up front looking for us to raise our padle, finger, eyebrow or whatever. It maximizes the amount of the sale for the benefit of the seller, which is what you want with an auction. As a taxpayer, you want to get the maximum out of each sale. As a buyer, we all want to get a bargain...

Figure out what you can afford to pay on an item, don't bid higher. If somebody else wants it more and has deeper pockets, so be it... Take a deep breath and start looking for the next one to come up for auction and try again...

I've bid on multiple lots on many an occaision. I know that if I win a dozen M817's, for instance, that I can find a home for them without a lot of trouble before my EUC clears if I win them at one price, I know that at another price point that I can place a half dozen... So, I might even intentionally bid part of my list withen the fifteen minute window just to ensure that the auction end time is later on some lots so that I have a chance to rebid at my higher amount in order to get the lower number of lots that I need to fill an order (the lower number/higher priced one)...

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
CGarbee, I've done that also. If I'm looking at several trucks and they are going past close time I'll focus my attention on the ones that close first and if I miss them I can still bid on the ones that are still going. That is the only small advatage to the 15 minute rule.

I'd rather it be like E-Bay though ( let everybody jump at the last second and see who ends up on top). They will never do that though because it only benefits the buyer. E-Bay doesn't care because they aren't the acual sellers of the item and they need buyers as bad as they do sellers. GL has a monopoly and doesn't care ( if you're going to buy Mil. surplus it's going to be through them).

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: How do you investigate this???

FreightTrain said:
I know for a fact that one person(on here!Local!) flat told me if I bid on a truck(well,trucks) he wanted that he would just bid it up so high that I couldn't get it.Told me this the opening day of the auction meaning he planned on running it up high enough I wouldn't bid but low enough someone else would out bid him.....

rofl. think theres a certain someone did that same comment about a M105 trailer lol. out of the 2 of you bidding on that trailer. i know who got it lol

FreightTrain

Banned
RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: How do you investigate this?

Hee hee hee,Nope.I said,he ain't gonna get it cause I WILL get it at any price...I wanted that trailer to go with my truck!Reason I paid almost $500 for a M105 east of the mississippi where you can't give them away!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks