• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NP205 4WD Light Sending Unit

roveroverme

Banned
The part # of this part is 15594176 and since it's NLA I decided to cut mine open and see what's up inside.
There is a part with a ball instead of a pin, but it will not fit a NP205 and there is a part with two blade connectors and a pin.
I think that one will work, but the plug has to be modified. What I have, is the switch with a pin and a watertight plug.

So I took the grinder and cut away the lip that sealed the switch. the pieces came apart.
There was a pin, a spring and a black piece of plastic in one assembly.
There was a rubber membrane
There was the tail piece with the contact assembly inside.

I sprayed it all with Deoxit and worked the part a little.
I checked for continuity and there was , when the switch is not pressed.
When pressed the contact is open.
I put it all together and it still worked. Saved me some $150 and took actually half the time it took me to write this post
1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg
So if you try to diagnose an issue where the 4x4 light does not come on when the truck is in 4x4 then:
-check the 20 AMP fuse on the fuse panel. still nothing? then:
-pull off the plug under the truck- and with some alligator clips ground the white wire to anything metal in the area (there is plenty to chose from) . if the light comes on, then:
-unbolt the switch and check for continuity while the plunger is not pressed. or no continuity while the plunger is pressed.
-If the light does not come on, then take the panel apart and check the light bulb- if it's still not working.
-if it's still not working, then check the wiring, particularly where it goes down through the floorboard. The wires tend to be crimped there.
Good Luck

Last edited:

cucvrus

Good Job. I did find that you can get this 4WD switch new from another model GM truck. It is not the same part number but it did work. I do not have the part number at my finger tips at this time. But I do think that it came from a Standard catalog. Standard is a part company that makes all kinds of a switches and sending units. Good Luck on your project and good job doing the repairs. I have been running the 4WD wires to the out side of the firewall and out under the cabs instead of being on top of the floor inside. Take care.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks