• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Nube question: What are those discs in the Grill?

oddshot

Sorry for the dumb nube question ... I tried to search ... but I don't know the name of what I would search for.

What are those round discs see in the grill area of some Deuces?

Sometimes they are green ... some are yellow and I believe I have seen white ones.

Some Deuces don't have any ... some have as many as 3. My 68 Am General didn't come with any.

I guess they are about 6 inches across and made from metal. They seem to have clips to hold something... but I could be wrong in this.

My suspicion is that they are some sort of unit "identifier" ... or something.

Thanks

oddshot

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are bridge plates. The numbers designate how heavy the trucks are and what bridges they can cross.

There is a technical manual that tells you how to set the numbers. I have a copy at work.

emr

trying to search first is a very respected thing here, U know the basics now , they are cool to have on your truck, good luck with it...

sp00n

Mine has one on the front grill, was wondering what it did. Mine was set to 0-8. Wonder what kinda weight that translates to.

oddshot

trying to search first is a very respected thing here, U know the basics now.

I kinda have to chuckle a little.

I didn't know the name of the thing ... that was what I was looking for ...

So I tried everything I could think of. I gave it about 10 tries ... and deemed that a "good effort".

BTW ...

Are these things on the repro or surplus market?

Its WAY down the list ... there are other things I need that are more important.

Thank you

oddshot

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
by the way the number should represent the weight of the vehicle in tons. Above the numbers there should be a reversible plate that reads "C" on one side and is blank oin the other. The C is meant to be displayed when the is towing, and stands for combined

mcmullag

bridge weight plate

A M35a2 deuce and a half would have the numbers displayed '08' and with the M105 attached to it, '13'. I think that is what I have seen.

If the deuce weighs 6.5 tons empty and is carrying its 2.5 offroad load, that equals 8 tons. Cool.... but with the trailer weighing 2,750 lbs empty, lets call that 1.25 tons, and with its load of 1.5 tons, that would be 2.75 tons, maybe round up to 3 tons, plus the loaded truck, 8 tons, I gots 11 tons, so why not ' C 11' for a loaded deuce and trailer? just saying.......

rlwm211

I hate to correct but 6.5 + 2.5 equals 9 not 8. That is not why I am posting here though.

The number on the "Bridge Plate" is the MLC or Military Load Classification.

Here is an excerpt from the NATO Military Routes and Route/Road Networks

" Standard tracked vehicles are designated by MLC numbers ranging from 4 to 150, which correspond to the gross vehicle weight in short tons. In addition to gross weight, each standard tracked vehicle is defined in terms of track width, length, and spacing. "

1. Standard wheeled vehicles are designated by the same MLC numbers (4 through 150),which correspond to about 85% of the gross weight in short tons. Each standard wheeled vehicle is defined in terms of gross weight, number of axles, axle spacing, and axle load. In addition to the standard hypothetical wheeled vehicles, a maximum single-axle load is specified for each MLC(used to represent the loading on very short spans when only one axle is on the span at a time)."
This is from SMART BRIDGE: A TOOL FOR ESTIMATING THE MILITARY LOAD CLASSIFICATION OF BRIDGES USING VARYING LEVELS OF INFORMATION

A deuce with trailer should be showing "C" and "09" if I am not mistaken.

Empty is without the "C" and the numerals "08"

RL

lacoda56

Not sure of the cutoff date, but older plates are yellow with black numbers and newer plates are green with black numbers. The yellow are harder to find and consequently more expensive.