• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Number plackard on the grill of an M35a2c

KC8UVU

We recently purchased a duce from Texas and there were no numbers on the plackard on the upper right corner of the grill. Can anyone tell me what these numbers are called or what they signify? Any information would be helpfull(the only way i can convince my dad not to remove the plate "to improve airflow to the radiator" is to get numbers to mount on it)

p.s. the number "C38" are in black lettes in the upper left corner of the driver-side windshield pannel

thank ye fer yer help,
kc8uvu
(jon)

Desert Rat

Jon,
Where in Texas are you? Please add that to your signature box so we can help you better. I'm figuring you are referring to the bridgeplate, a circular piece of aluminum on the grille. Do a site search (between the calendar and member list buttons on this page) to read up on the exhaustive posts we did about just this. Secondly, you can tell your dad with certainty and forum experience unless there is a MAJOR clog in the radiator that radiator is way too efficient a cooling system for the engine. It's done with intention so if the truck becomes mired in muck and has a face full of mud it won't overheat. Otherwise we keep the grille partly covered even at 70 degrees or so ambient temperature. The engine loves to run toasty warm. That's where you'll get your best performance out of her.

I have no idea what the C38 means. Perhaps Charlie company truck 38?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Desert Rat said: "It's done with intention so if the truck becomes mired in muck and has a face full of mud it won't overheat."

Colorful description, but probably not entirely correct.:)

KC8UVU

thaniks guys, we did purchase a bridgeplate kit from ebay and it came with a piece that mounts abovw the numbers that has the letter "C" on it. and i told dad that that truck had a big enough radiator on there that the bridgeplate would have NO effect on the cooling. after all, the whole dang truck is overbuilt on purpose. we don't live in texas, we bought the truck in san antonio, six months out of the airforce. we currently live in dayton ohio (30mins southwest of Wright Patterson AFB. thanks for the help!

sincerely,
kc8uvu

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Spent most of my life in Dayton, pretty cool. If you don't know, the "C" is for comination vehicles. I run the "C" on my tractor.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are concerned about the bridgeplate blocking the radiator, don't be. The image below shows my radiator cover fitted to keep the engine temp close to 185-190F most of the time.
I came close to removing it for this long NC RT421 uphill drive yesterday, but kept it on. It's an 8 mile, 8% grade and my deuce was loaded with lumber for a log cabin. The gross vehicle weight was about 22,000 lb. My digital back-up thermometer went from 190 at the start of the climb and 215 at the top. I'm using 50-50 glycol-water with additives, so there was still a margin before boiling. Leveling out, the temp dropped to 195 rather quickly. The air temp was about 80F. My speed was 25-30 in 3rd gear all the way up. The heater was turned on.

Monster Man

the standard numbers for your brideplate will be 08, with the plate above being turned around. You'll only need the C above the numbers if you're towing, in which case you need to recalculate the numbers below :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks