• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Numbers on grille

Piper Cub

It's the bridge plate. It tells how much it weighs so the military can divert trucks in a convoy to stronger bridges if necessary. I "think" that the 11 would be 11 tons since that's about what an M939 series weighs.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It calculates in weight, length, and I think axle count?
Yeah, its more complex than just "this many tons"

My M1070 HET, empty, has a bridge plate number of 18. My M916 tractor with the M870A1 trailer, empty, also has a bridge plate number of 18. The HET weighs 40,000 lbs on 4 axles and the 916/870 combo weighs at least 7,500 lbs more but 2 more total axles, and much farther apart.

Here is a list of common ones and an explanation - https://rdl.train.army.mil/catalog-...-C73EA71C81D9-1308730109242/3-34.170/appe.htm

At the end, you find this -

Expedient Vehicle Classification
E-9. This expedient procedure to estimate the MLC is available and effective when the situation requires an immediate determination. During the classification process, vehicles are divided into two categories—those with trailers (vehicle combination class number [CCN]) and those without (single vehicle classification number)—and calculated accordingly.
E-10. When a vehicle tows another vehicle at a distance less than 30.5 meters and the vehicles are not designed to operate as one unit, the combination is referred to as a nonstandard combination. A temporary vehicle MLC number may be assigned to this combination. The classification number assigned is nine tenths the sum of the normal vehicle classification numbers if the total of both classifications is less than 60. If the sum of the two military classification numbers is 60 or over, the total becomes the MLC number for the nonstandard combination.

CCN = 0.9 (A + B) if A + B < 60
CCN = A + B if A + B > 60
where—
A = class of first vehicle
B = class of second vehicle

E-11. The expedient classification for a wheeled vehicle is estimated to be 85 percent of its total weight. Therefore, you must determine the vehicle’s gross weight. Multiply the air pressure in the tires (in pounds per square inch [psi]) by the total area (in square inches) of the tires in contact with the ground. If a gauge is not available, use 75 psi as an average value. This yields an approximate weight of the vehicle in pounds. Convert this figure to tons and find 85 percent of the weight in tons. The resulting figure is the expedient classification.

WT = ATPTNT / 2,000
where—
W T = gross weight of vehicle, in tons
AT = average tire contact-area (hard surface), in square inches
PT = tire pressure, in psi
NT = number of tires
And thats the "expedient" version! To get the actual rating, you have to submit a bunch of data to TARDEC.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Its a requirement when transferred from govt to civilian habds . it must be 69. Everyone that does it thinks they are soooooo original.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Our Deuce is a 1968 and came to us without a Bridge Plate. I have since acquired one, but have not yet "mounted" it... on the grill or otherwise.

Our 1969 vintage XM818 came from the Midland (Texas) County Sheriff's Office. When she was posted for auction the Bridge Plate was painted over the same gray color as the rest of the truck. By the time I picked it up, someone had indeed "reclassed" it with the obligatory "69". I cannot tell if those numbers represent the year model or if someone had in fact "mounted" the truck.